Ok, so Lily isn’t technically old enough to have a “Wish List” yet. But naturally, Dave and I are going to buy her some presents to open and we’ve talked a lot about what we should give her.
We want to try from the beginning to be very intentional about the way we celebrate Christmas. We want to have fun with it and we’re not against incorporating some of the more “secular” elements of the holiday, but we want to make sure that our primary focus is on the “Christ” of Christmas.
I’ve seen several really cool ideas that I’m considering for next year – when Lily is a little more aware of what’s going on – including making a straw bed for Jesus and doing a Jesse Tree.
Then the other day I read this article at Blissfully Domestic about simplifying the Christmas season. The author gives a simple old Victorian adage that they use in their family to help determine what to purchase for Christmas gifts. I loved this and when I shared it with Dave, he loved it to, and we decided it’s something we’d like to incorporate into our celebrations. Hopefully, it will help us curb the temptation to go overboard. Each year we will buy our kids:
Something they want,
Something they need,
Something to wear, and
Something to read.
So what’s Lily getting this year? I’ll tell you!
{Don’t worry. She doesn’t read my blog.}
SOMETHING SHE WANTS MOMMY WANTS FOR HER:
Her first baby doll. But I need some help from you other mommies {of girls} out there, because have you seen how many different varieties of dolls there are? It makes my head spin. So tell me – anyone have a favorite doll for a little girl about 15ish months old?
SOMETHING SHE NEEDS:
I actually braved the crowds on Black Friday to go to Wal-Mart and get a couple of pairs of pajamas because they were only THREE DOLLARS!! Was it worth it, you ask?
No. No it was not.
Wal-Mart on a normal day is a headache at best and on Black Friday? Well, let’s just say next year I will be far, FAR away from there.
SOMETHING TO WEAR:
I’ve wanted to get Lily a little puffer vest all winter and I think I’m going to use this as my excuse to splurge. I tried one on her in the store the other day and it was the cutest thing! I haven’t found the exact one I want yet but I love this one from Gymboree:
Wouldn’t that look so cute with this little denim skirt?
And these tights?
And then this cutie little hat to top it all off?
See how easy it would be for me to go overboard? Especially when it comes to little girls clothes. It’s a particular weakness of mine :)
I’m still on the hunt for a more affordable puffer vest. So if you’ve seen one, let me know!
And finally…
SOMETHING TO READ:
Lily’s first Bible! This Bible was recommended to us as one that is neither simplified to death, nor trivialized and stays true to the original text – all things that are important to us when choosing a Bible!
So that’s Lily’s Christmas list! The nice thing about this is that it leaves plenty of other options out there for parents and grandparents to choose from. I created an Amazon wish list specifically for Lily. As the year goes on and I see things that she would like, or that I would like her to have, I add them to the list. Then when it’s time for gifts, we just share the link with our friends and relatives! Kind of like a baby gift registry :)
So what do you do to simplify your holiday gift giving?

6 comments:
I can understand you weakness. You ought to have a little boy, that would help curb your appetite for chica clothes ;)
Just for you I'm humming 'For unto us a son is given' ;)
I like your method....it's like something old something new...etc, etc. :) Good ideas.
I love it, that's a great way to do Christmas! This year, since Avalon is so little, we're basically just doing things she needs and/or Mommy wants her to have :)
And wow, yes, you ARE brave to do Wal Mart on Black Friday! I have pretty much banned Wal Mart from my life for obvious reasons (I think you know what I mean!), so yeah, props to you for going and getting the deals! Live and learn though, I guess, right? :) HA!
I think that's a great idea to do. I've done something similar for Brooke the last two years. I've gotten Brooke a toy or two, a book, and some clothes. My in-laws do the same thing for all the grandkids, but also gets them a savings bond for college. One of their great-grandparents give them a small toy to unwrap and then puts money into a college fund every Christmas. I really like this idea because they only need so many toys.
I'd highly recommend Fisher Price's Little Mommy dolls. I got Brooke one of the Sweet as Me dolls when she was about 17 months, and she loves it. It was the doll she had with her on Sunday.
So cute, Amy. :) I'm with ya on wanting to be intentional about how we celebrate CHRISTmas! I was really saddened as I pulled ornaments and decorations out this year and realized that I didn't have one single thing that had anything to do with Jesus! Ugh! It's a little too late for me to do it this year, but we too want to do a Jesse tree. Just recently heard of the idea and thought it was so neat! Here's a website I found that was helpful: http://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?&pid=1628&srcid=1602
I've already found several ornaments to use just at thrift stores, and will probably make several others throughout the course of this year, Lord willing!
That sounds like a great idea for Christmas shopping! I'll have to keep that in mind.
As far as the baby dolls go, we have several -- from pricey brand names to cheapos -- and they all get equal love. A baby is a baby is a baby to little girls this age, I think. I'd pick something that doesn't talk or um...potty train itself...just for ease of use. If it talks, I've found that my girls will just sit and squeeze it until they get bored. But a plain jane, simple doll will get rocked, fed, danced with, put to bed, put in time out (!), and so on. The simpler, the better, has been our experience.
Also, if you can find one that comes with a little mini-stroller, those are a big hit at our house. SO much fun for them to put the baby in, take it out, walk, run, fill the stroller with other toys for the baby to play with. Really, it's endless fun.
Wow. I sure can ramble about baby dolls :)
Post a Comment