Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Feb 23, 2010

{Ouch}

Pride.

It’s such a tiny little word that describes a very large, very ugly struggle of mine.

People who know me in real life might be a little surprised to hear me say that. Because, you see, pride doesn’t show up in my life in what might seem to be the “typical” manner.

I’m not the “cocky, over confident, smug” type of person with that “look at me” kind of swagger.

I don’t talk myself up {rather, I’m more likely to talk myself down}

But guess what?

I’m proud.

Pride is sneaky. And it manifests itself in my life in a hundred different ways. Last week in our Sunday School class, we were given a handout with two columns: one detailed characteristics of a proud person, the other characteristics of a humble person. Guess which one I identified with?

Proud people…

…have to prove they are right…

**OUCH**

…keep others at arms’ length…

**OUCH**

…find it difficult to share their spiritual needs with others…

**OUCH**

…tend to deal in generalities when confessing sin…

…are self-conscious…

…have an independent, self-sufficient spirit…

**OUCH, OUCH, OUCH**

C.J. Mahaney, in his book “Humility: True Greatness”  says that pride is “to rob God of legitimate glory and to pursue self-glorification”

As our Sunday School teacher said, “Doesn’t that sound horrible?”

That’s because it is.

Pride is at the root of so many of the sins in my life. It is not something I can just look at and then passively go on with my daily life. It needs to be uprooted and tossed out, like weeds in a garden – so there can be room for real fruit to grow.

How do I do this?

It’s only possible when I have the right view of myself – the view from the foot of the cross. That’s where I see myself for what I truly am – a sinner desperately in need of a Savior – and where God is revealed for what He truly is – the only One who deserves any glory or praise, the perfectly just judge whose mercy and compassion reached down to rescue me.

How can anyone be arrogant when he stands beside the cross?”
--Carl Henry--

But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
   "God opposes the proud
      but gives grace to the humble."
--James 4:6--

13 comments:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh girl.... you know that this spoke volumes to me. Such good truth.

peter marie said...

Thanks for sharing this! "Ouch" is right, that list is totally me too.

beccarankin said...

I was just going to post something similar. I probably still will. So, obviously this ministered to me! Thanks for being transparent!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes...and yes. I struggle with this too - thanks for sharing!

Catholic Mutt said...

"Ouch" is right! There are a few of those that hit me where it hurts.

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing this! It's something I struggle with as well.

Jamie said...

You are speaking the truth for sure! Good post. Thanks for sharing!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

We love CJ Mahaney!!! He has a powerful way of teaching God's Word in ways that do hurt so much! I love how he points us back to the cross and always puts Christ as the remedy!
Very good stuff!!! My children have been so super instrumental in pointing out my pride problem! :) I am thankful that God uses all situations to point us to our need for Christ!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Ouch is right....totally I am the "generalizes when confesses sin". That.is.me.
Love that song.

*Side note* I thought I had already commented on this, actually I'm quite confident that I did, but apparently Blogger did not cooperate.

Michelle said...

yep, ouch! i struggle with many of those too

H-Mama said...

yep. you are not alone. ;)

nault's nook said...

thank you so much for sharing this! I needed to read it!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, Amy!

 
Images by Freepik