Ugh.
I can’t even begin to tell you how much I wish I wasn’t writing this post.
But, here goes.
The Short Story: Lily and I were in a car accident on Tuesday. Nobody was hurt {in either our car or the other person’s car}. Our car, however, sustained some “fatal” injuries, if you will – it’s completely totaled.
The Long Story: I’m gonna do my best not to ramble, but here’s basically what happened.
Lily and I were on our way to a church playgroup a little before 10:00 Tuesday morning. It was at a park we had never visited, in an unfamiliar area of a neighboring town. We had turned onto the road leading to the park and ahead of us was a big construction-type truck parked in the road doing some work on a tree.
Up ahead, I noticed the road curved off to the left. There were no cars coming, so I pulled around the truck, intent on getting back around to my side of the road before any other cars came around that bend.
It wasn’t until I came around the front of the truck that I was able to see the stop sign and the intersection, but at that point, it was too late. I slammed on my brakes but it wasn’t enough to keep me from hitting the side of another car crossing the road on the intersection in front of me.
One second I was driving along listening to Lily’s happy babble from the backseat, the next we were spinning completely out of control through the intersection, headed straight for a telephone pole. We missed the pole by inches – it grazed our sideview mirror.
The next few minutes were honestly a blur. I remember running around to the backseat to find Lily safely snuggled in her carseat, without so much as a scratch on her. I remember just holding her, crying and shaking and thinking over and over, “This can not be happening.”
I called Dave, the ambulance and police came, and I was relieved to hear that nobody was hurt in the other car either. Since I was feeling fine, we opted not to go to the hospital with the ambulance and instead headed to my OB office to make sure everything was fine with the baby.
Even now, I can’t think about what happened without getting choked up. When I think about how close we were to being seriously injured – or worse – I can’t help but just praise God for His hand of protection on us. If something had happened to Lily or our unborn baby, I don’t know if I could have ever forgiven myself.
I know being a believer doesn’t guarantee that God will keep you from harm, and we would have chosen to praise Him regardless of the outcome, but we are so incredibly grateful that He chose to bring us through this unscathed.
If you could, there are a few things I’d ask for you to pray for:
- Pray that we would have a right and godly response to the circumstances surrounding the accident. Had that truck not been parked so close to the stop sign, blocking my view the way it was, this almost certainly would never have happened. Regardless, I was issued a ticket for failing to heed a traffic signal. While everything in me wants to cry, “That’s so unfair!” I also recognize that being angry and bitter won’t change what happened. It’s possible that we may be able to have the ticket revoked, but even if that doesn’t happen, I need to be prepared to accept the circumstances humbly, and move on.
A view of the truck that was parked in front of the stop sign..and the back of our car being towed away
- Pray for me as I work through the emotions following the crash. The biggest struggle I’m having right now is with fear. At the moment, I don’t feel like I ever want to get behind the driver’s seat of a car again, especially not with my child in the back seat. I know it’s normal to feel apprehensive, but I don’t want to let that fear take root in my life and control me.
- Pray that no complications develop with my pregnancy due to the accident. We had an ultrasound yesterday and everything looked great. I’ve had no bleeding or cramping and don’t even have a mark or a bruise on my stomach from the seatbelt, but just continue to pray that everything will go well.
Thanks so much for your prayers! Naturally I am a little disheartened about our ruined vehicle and my no-longer-spotlessly-perfect driving record, but those are such small things compared to the health and safety of my two precious little girls!

21 comments:
WOW AMY!!! How scary for you!! I'm so thankful that you, Lily and your baby girl weren't hurt. God is so good!
I feel bad for you about the accident and totalling your car - been there done that - and it's no fun! I hope the ticket gets revoked. We'll be praying for you guys!
Girl, I am so thankful that you are a safe! I was in a car accident a few years back (before kids) and my car was totaled too. It's so scary and for me the scariness lasted a couple of months but it did go away! I'll be praying for you and your girls safety too! :-)
Praise God you both are ok! That is one of my fears- being in a car accident with Lily and our unborn baby. I can't imagine what you must've felt!! I'll definitely be praying about all those requests!
Oh Amy! I saw the picture right away and gasped out loud... I am SO glad to hear how God's hand protected you and your babies!! He is SO good and I am praising him with you right now. Also praying for you - I know this can really be traumatizing and can play tricks on your mind.
I'm so glad you and the girls are ok. How scary! I was in an accident when I was 17 weeks pregnant with Jenna. She and I were fine, but it was so scary, so I totally understand how you are feeling! The fear subsided for me after about a week. I hope you are able to feel at ease again soon.
I'm with Wendi... I gasped too! How scary! SO glad you and your girls are okay!! And you're right... The logistics involved in taking care of a totaled car really are small in comparison to everyone's safety. (((((bighug)))))
Oh Amy...how scary! I am so thankful that you 3 girls are ok and that no one was hurt. You have a great outlook about getting a ticket but I am glad you took that picture of the truck because it is obvious why you didn't see the stop sign.
Praying for you!
Just cried my way through this post... :( Let me bring you some food... do your grocery shopping, WHATEVER you need - seriously. And take as long as you need w/out driving - there is no "right" time to feel normal again.
Ugh - I hate this FOR you.
So thankful that you, Lily, and the baby are ok. My prayers are with you.
OH how scary! I'm so sorry, but praise God along with everybody else that you are all okay. I completely understand all of your emotions... Who couldn't? I'm thinking of you and praying for you. Take care, Hon... ((HUGS))
So scary! Glad to hear you are all ok!
Ames! I can't believe I saw you on Wednesday and you didn't mention this! I'm so glad you're okay!! Hannah and I got rear-ended two weeks ago and that was scary enough, so I can't imagine how you're feeling! I'll definitely be praying for you and please let me know if you need anything during the day. Hannah and I can come to Ankeny any time. Love ya!
I'm so thankful that you are both safe. I once was in an accident that I was ticketed for that was due to negligence on the part of others (a little different situation, but same gist) and I felt very bitter for a while about it. I felt like it was unfair. I hope you are able to move past this or get it vetoed, because it's one of those things that gets you worked up to no avail. But, with that said, I'm just amazed that the truck was so close to the stop sign! Thank goodness you weren't going faster.
So glad all three of you are ok! That is one of my fears that I will get into a car accident with my babies in the car. God proved His protection over your bodies, now I will pray His protection of your mind and heart.
Praying for you! I'm so glad God protected you and your babies.
So glad to hear this - I'm glad you shared! And we'll definitely be praying!
oh amy! i'm so glad that you are okay! bless your heart. i'm praying for you and your sweet little ones.
I'm so glad that everyone's okay! Praying for you guys!
Praise God you and the girls are safe! I echo what many have said--car accidents are scary and can evoke fear into us. I was in a bad accident in college where both my car and the other were totaled. I also got a ticket for not yielding to oncoming traffic--I felt that it was unfair as well due to visibilty issues, another driver's speed and the bad conditions of that intersection (shortly thereafter a stoplight was erected due to the many accidents at that intersection). At any rate, all I can say is try to focus on the tremendous blessing of God's protection. This will continue to comfort you no matter the outcome of your ticket and will give you the confidence to get back behind the wheel. One thing I will recommend is that you don't wait too long to drive again. I did NOT want to drive again for as long as I lived after that, but my mom made me get behind the wheel as soon as possible. She said the longer I waited the harder it would be to face my fear head on. I believe she was right. Blessings to you!
Amy - So sorry for this unfortunate incident. It must have been so scary. I have been on vacation so I'm very late responding. I did want to tell you that you need to replace Lily's carseat. Any accident, even if there doesn't appear to be damage to the seat, does require that you get a new seat in case any unseen damage was done. I think that sometimes your insurance will even cover it as part of the quote. But please replace it because if this would ever happen again and there was damage to the seat from this accident, it might not be as lucky. I'm so glad everyone is alright though. Take care, hun!
Oh, my dear friend! Wow! Thank God you and your little babies are fine and healthy. I pray for God's favor for you and your family. And, I pray for peace for you and your mind, and a continued healthy pregnancy! God definitely had and has his hand on you and your family.
(hugs)
Post a Comment