Today Sarah is hosting her monthly Before and After bloggy party and I’ve decided to link up!

{Ok, so technically the party was yesterday but, whatever. Better late than never, right?}
Do you remember a loooong time ago…like four months or so…I told you how I was working on a DIY project that involved a can of Rustoleum?
And I was all mysterious about what it was but promised I’d show you later?
And then I never did?
Remember that???
I didn’t think so.
Well I decided today would be the perfect time to reveal what we did.
First, a little history.
Our home was built in the nineties and evidently, gold/brassy type light fixtures were all the rage because we have them ALL OVER our house – both inside AND out.
Pretty much all of our light fixtures look like this:
And, my personal favorite *cough* the chandelier in our dining room looks like this:
Some people might like it, and that’s fine, but it’s just really not my style.
And then we had the light fixtures OUTSIDE. They looked something like this:
I would have loved to be able to trade those bad boys in for something more like this:
…but at $160.00…PER LIGHT? You’ve got to be kidding me! Not. happening.
{Suddenly all the brass is making a lot more sense…}
Still, even though my husband told me that nobody pays attention to what color your garage door lights are, I wanted to see if there was something I could do to change it.
Enter Rustoleum. Spray paint for metal – genius!
One can of Rustoleum Dark Bronze Hammered Finish
…was all we needed to turn this:
Into this:
We just took apart the lights, spray painted them, then reassembled.
It took us a few hours {including paint drying time} on a Saturday. And I only electrocuted myself once before remembering that we needed to turn off the fuse while we reattached the wires :)
The best part? I think it was something like $5.00 for that can of spray paint {and we didn’t even use it all!}
While we were finishing up, our neighbor came out and said, “Hey! I like your new light fixtures!”
And I should have just smiled and said, “Thanks!”
But instead I said, “They’re not new! We spray painted our old ones! FIVE BUCKS!!!!!”
I’m classy like that ;)

17 comments:
Ah ha! Last time we were there I totally told Mark that you had gotten new lights on your garage! So I wasn't totally wrong! :) They look great!
I think they look awesome. Great job!!!
Great job! They look fabulous!
Blessings,
Amy
Love this :D We had those craptastic brass fixtures on the inside of our home as well & I spray painted them w/ the same paint. LOVE it! It's held up well too. And, I so agree about the "class" comment. It's like a badge of honor to have made something pretty on the cheap!
Love them! I heart Rustoleum! For real. We've painted our box heat grates.....kitchen cabinets {not spray paint, but Rustoleum}.....LOVE It!
Did you do your chandelier, too? Pics please!
you made me giggle. electrocuted yourself... only once? do we make a habit out of this? hehe. and i do the same thing... why must i tell all my money savin' {cheap} tips? and they look fab!! well worth the effort, imho. ;)
I recognized a couple of those lights from our old house! We have a fireplace insert that needs to be redone...it's from the '60's. Any ideas?
They look great!
LOVE them. We did that with some of of he fixtures in our bedroom remodel. End up "oil rubbed bronze" - my fixtures of choice - is about the most expense choice one can make. So we "made" some of our own. :)
Ummm, fantastic!!! I need to pick some of that magic stuff up at the store...perfect for our many updates that need done!!
Wow!! That looks great! I need to buy that spray paint asap! Oh, I'm always telling people how much I spend on stuff because I'm so excited about the amazing deal. Afterwards I wonder if that was info I should have kept to myself. Haha! Oh well :)
Those look great! Good work, Amy! We had those exact same fixture on our last house and I did the exact same thing you did - same color and all! I guess good minds think alike, right?! We've also done 2 chandeliers in this house like that too and have had several compliments on my "new" light fixtures! :)
I'm laughing so hard at what you told your neighbors. This is SO ME. "FIVE BUCKS!" Hubby calls it diarrhea of the mouth.
Regardless, they look great.
FIVE DOLLARS!!! That is fabulous!! And they look great. What more can a girl ask for?? Except maybe remembering to turn off the breaker, before being electrocuted. :)
Thanks for the morning laugh Amy! 5bucks! Sounds like something I'd do!
Smart, thrifty woman you are! :)
I love the lights and now I am curious if you are going to do the same thing with the inside of the house.
Inspiration...Thanks! I never knew about Rustoleum!
Post a Comment