Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jul 8, 2009

I Have New Respect for the Amish

Let's play a game, shall we?

We'll call it the "Guess-Which-One-Of-Our-Appliances-Went-On-The-Fritz-Last-Week" game.

Here are a few clues:

This was a bag of frozen dinner rolls. FROZEN. Does that look like frozen bread dough exploding out of that bag there?


This here is an ice cube tray, full of cubes of...water.

If this were a scratch and sniff picture, you would quickly realize that this chicken was no longer fit for consumption.


Any guesses yet?

If you were thinking FREEZER, you'd be close. It was actually our refrigerator and our freezer both.

If I had to pick an appliance to quit on us, this would not be it. I mean, the dishwasher quits? So what, I can wash a dish. The oven? We'll use our grill or microwave. The washing machine? Go to the laundrymat or handwash. But the fridge? I can do a lot of things, but I cannot keep all of our perishable items from perishing in the 80 degree summer heat.

You know how you don't really realize how much you rely on something until it's no longer there for you to rely on? I really didn't realize how essential the refrigerator was to our everyday life. You cook a meal...where do you store the leftovers? You buy some meat...how do you keep it cool until dinnertime?

Needless to say, this particular incident brought a whole host of my most unadmirable character traits to the surface. I think perhaps the Lord was teaching me a lesson or two...more on that later.

But now I'm curious -- if you had to pick one appliance or modern day convenience that you could not live without, what would it be?

And let's really hope and pray that this never happens!

1 comment:

This Heavenly Life said...

I think I'd be downright angry if our air conditioner/heater unit quit. I wouldn't even mind it so much if it quit in the winter because we can always pile on the clothes and blankets. But in the summer? I'd worry about the kids being too hot to sleep, and this equals disaster in my mind....

 
Images by Freepik