Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jun 9, 2011

Pottery Barn, Shmottery Barn

I’ve never really been much of a jewelry person, but in the last couple of years, two of my friends {ironically both named Katie} have slowly started turning me over to the dark side. They both sell jewelry {for this company and this company} and I’ve hosted parties and gotten lots of free/discounted stuff.

The problem is, I didn’t really have a good place for all these purdy new accessories. So they just kind of sat in a semi-organized pile on my dresser.

Then I saw these in the Pottery Barn catalog, and I knew they’d be the perfect solution.

PB Jewelry HOlder

Of course, in true Pottery Barn fashion they cost more than any normal person would reasonably want to pay for them. And it doesn’t take a DIY genius to see that these wouldn’t be very hard to replicate at home.

An empty picture frame and some hooks. Not exactly rocket surgery, here Winking smile

I had planned on keeping an eye out at Goodwill for the right frame to use, but then one day on a random stop at Hobby Lobby, I found this:

Jewelry frame4

They had a bunch of *slightly* damaged frames from their framing department marked 90% off – so this one, originally marked at $37.99, cost me only $3.79!

It didn’t have glass, but I didn’t need it to. And it did have a *slight* chip in one corner, but since I planned on sanding and painting it, that didn’t really matter.

I sanded it – just a little, because I wanted that dark finish to show through when I distressed it.

Jewelry frame3

Then I gave it a few coats of this stuff:

Heirloom White

{Rustoleum Heirloom White}

Then took some sand paper and distressed it just a little:

Jewelry frame 1

Then I screwed a few cup hooks along the top, and the result:

Jewelry frame 2

Now all my pretty jewelry has a home. I’m planning on hanging it up eventually, but for now it’s just hanging out on my dresser.

I think I like it even better than the one in the catalog. Take that, Pottery Barn!Jewelry frame5

11 comments:

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

Oh cool idea, i love how yours turned out Amy!!

Becky said...

Man Amy, you are so good at stuff like that! I like yours better than the Pottery Barn ones too. Good job!!!

Lisa said...

Nice work. I love it!

Jenn said...

very cute, nice work!

black tag diaries said...

love this! it turned out so cute!!! might have to copy... :)

Ann@StringerMama said...

Very cute! Love it!

Kelly said...

Love it!!! Jacob just made me something similar, but he put screen on the back so I can hang my earrings on it too. I love this idea! I'm just like you - never been into jewelry, but finally getting into it now :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

LOVE!! :)

kath001 said...

Awesome! I think I need these too!

une autre mère said...

Oh wow! How did I miss this post? I so totally love this idea and plan to steal it from you in the near future! Great job, Amy!!! :)

Sinea said...

Absolutely fabulous idea! Thanks

 
Images by Freepik