Yesterday at around 11:00 am my brother-in-law Trey gave me a call and asked me if I could do “a HUGE favor” for him. He and his wife Janae just moved to Michigan and are in the process of purchasing their first home. They were getting ready to close when they ran into a slight snag. The money for their down payment was in their old bank account, in my town, and the manager would not allow them to do a wire transfer to their new bank account in Michigan. It’s a complicated story, but basically what it boiled down to was that they needed someone (a.k.a. yours truly) to get that money from their old bank account and drive it to a local branch of their new bank and deposit the money.
Are you following me here? I didn’t think so.
In short, I had to take THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS CASH from one bank to the other. That’s a 13 and three 0’s. Cash. The green stuff.
Not only that, but the closing was at 1:00 pm so we had to do all of this as quickly as possible.
Being the AMAZING sister-in-law that I am, I immediately packed Lily up and off we went.
It wasn’t until I was on my way to the bank with an envelope literally bursting at the seams with the THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS CASH that I stopped to consider the possibility that the teller at the bank might question the legality of what was going on here.
I mean, it’s probably not everyday that you have a soccer mom waltz into the bank with a baby on her hip and ask to deposit THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS CASH in someone else’s bank account.
And I’m not saying I didn't look like someone who is used to carrying around that amount of money, because I totally did -- I mean I was after all dressed in an old T-shirt, athletic shorts, and flip flops and my daughter was after all wearing a onesie that may or may not have been stained with peas from her lunch that I did not stop to change in my haste to make it out the door. I’m sure my attire just screamed, “Rich Girl”. Even so, I determined that I would do everything I could to assure the kind teller behind the desk that there was nothing shady going on.
When she asked me to provide my brother-in-law’s occupation I proclaimed, “He’s a YOUTH PASTOR. You know, at a CHURCH. Not the one I go to. But I do. Go to church that is. So does he. He’s using the money to buy a house. You know, so he can have the youth over. The youth from his CHURCH. Where he is a PASTOR.”*Nervous laughter*
I suspect that the teller could sense the apprehension that was oozing from my pores because she seemed to trust what I was saying and we got the money transferred safely.
And Trey, I’ll have you know that I drove by the mall on my way to the bank with the THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS CASH and didn’t even consider going in and spending it all on baby clothes and shoes. That took a tremendous amount of self control. You’re welcome :)
Aug 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Dang.....THIRTEEN THOUSAND? REALLY?! Haha...you crack me up :)
Did they have to fill out a Currency Transaction Report? They probably did whether you knew about it or not, on any cash transaction (withdrawal or deposit) over $9,999 just so you know.
Heehee :) What I wouldn't give to know what was going through the teller's head!
That is hilarious to imagine you driving around with that much cash! And to think that you didn't even consider stopping at the mall. What a great sister-in-law you are!
And what's so wrong with pea-stained onesies? Don't rich people's kids spill their food too? :)
Thanks for the good laugh.
Katie (J.), I'm not sure about that report, it did take a little while for her to get it all taken care of so maybe that's what she was doing!
And Katie B. -- you're right I'm sure rich people's kids spill food on their onesies, they've just probably got a nanny to clean it up for them :) Wouldn't it be so nice sometimes to let someone else do the dirty work so we could just do the fun stuff all day :)
Post a Comment