Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jan 27, 2010

Keepin’ It Real

Are you ever tempted to only let people glimpse the portions of your life that put you in your best light?

Like, I don’t know about the rest of you but this is what I look like when I wake up in the morning:

heidi-klum

Horrifying, isn’t it?

And my kitchen pretty much always looks like this:

019

Because I spend all my time cleaning…that is when I’m not grinding wheat to make my own bread, sewing my own clothes, and thinking super spiritual thoughts and posting them on my Facebook status.

I’m pretty much awesome at everything I do. I never fail at any projects I try.

My child is a dainty, angelic creature who always looks like she stepped right out of the pages of a Baby Gap ad. She’s not perfect, but I’m such a good parent, her behavior doesn’t even really phase me.

Seriously?!?

I mean, really – who do I think I’m kidding with that garbage?

One of my goals on this blog is to keep it real. As my friend Andrea says, “There is enough plastic in the world without me contributing to it by trying to be fake.”

So along those lines, here are some things you need to know:

  • I am still in my pajamas. So is Lily.

  • I didn’t work out for even a second yesterday…unless you count vacuuming the stairs.

  • Speaking of vacuuming, I don’t do it every day. Sometimes not even every other day. Usually only once a week, or if we have company coming.

  • This morning I caved…and ate one of these for breakfast:

January 2010 001

And I don’t even really feel guilty!

  • My house is very clean because our Bible study group met here last night. Just don’t look in the office because that’s where I shoved all the random piles of junk that I didn’t have time to sort through:
    007 008 009 
  • I spent 3 hours – THREE HOURS -- one day last week trying to figure out a simple {and I do mean simple} “10 minute” sewing project. And I still messed it up.

  • You know how I wanted to try some healthy recipes this year? Well I cooked my first one on Monday. It was disgusting. Ask my husband.

No matter what else you might read on here, please, PLEASE don’t ever get the idea that I’ve always got it all together. I can put on a pretty good front when I want to, but deep down, I know the truth. I’m just an average {sometimes below average} girl with high aspirations. I’ve set some high goals for myself and I’m going to be diligent about pursuing them. But chances are, I’m gonna fail at some of them. And when I do, I’ll be sure to let you know.

A man can never hope to be more than he is if he is not first honest about what he isn’t.

16 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

friend.....your not-put-together self is more put together than my PUT together self..every day of the week. Don't ask me when I vacuumed last.
In my defense, Jesse vacuumed on Monday because he cut the boys' hair all over the living room floor.

Debbi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbi said...

{GRIN} Love this post!

Thanks for saying something on my blog. I have peeked at yours a few times, but never introduced myself.

Your daughter is adorable, your writing...real & funny. I'll try to visit a little more often!

Oh & my boys are deathly afraid of the vacuum, so once a week my husband takes them for a 15 minute drive so I can vacuum. The rest of the week...

Debbi said...

Oops...somehow blogger posted my comment twice, so I deleted one. I though I would let you know because I know it would bother me not to know :).

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Honesty is so fresh and awesome. When blogging it could be easy to pretend and I love it when people don't!
I love to know when mom's are right in the trenches with me. :)

H-Mama said...

You've been reading my mind. I've been thinking of doing a similar post, but your 'piles' make mine look like Mt. Everest. ;) I'm still in my robe. ;)

AmyD said...

Just what I needed!!! God is so good!!!!

AmyD

Alicia Lenoir said...

It is nice to know that other stay at home moms aren't always perfect everyday, I find my self some days not accomplishing anything and other days accomplishing things. I liked knowing Amy that when you start projects you mess up as well, because it makes it seem that you are more human and can relate to easier.Thanks for your Blog it keeps my focus in the right direction.

peter marie said...

I love reading a blog post that makes me feel better about myself.:) Though I can guarantee your "messy" would be way cleaner than my messy, it's nice to know that not everyone keeps a perfect house all the time! Which seems to be one of my most annoying, biggest struggles. Ugh.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Right.there.with.you.on.it.all...at least you didn't feed your children blue rice krispie treats for breakfast that have left them with blue stained teeth for the entire day...oh yeah, I'm that cool! I do admire all your reading--I get overwhelmed with my goal of one book a month! I'll vacuum for you anytime if you'll read and summarize the book for me!

Kelly said...

Awesome post! Thanks for being real. I love reading your blog.

Oh, and all those things are true of me too :)

une autre mère said...

Great post! It's so good to be reminded that I'm not the only imperfect mom. It's easy to get down on myself and think that everyone else has it all figured out. So thanks for your honesty!

Unknown said...

I'd rather be in my pajamas all day than look like Heidi Klum ... Ok, maybe not.

Michelle said...

huh? seriously? you don't do all those things! haha!

I took all those blogs off my reader months ago.

i don't vacuum every day. or every other day. and for company, depends on whose coming! lol

Anonymous said...

Those brownies look simply delicious! Oh how I wish I could eat one for breakfast. :)

Jamie said...

Thanks for keeping it real! I'm right there with ya.

 
Images by Freepik