This morning I had to have an in home physical done for life insurance purposes. I’ve never had anyone perform any kind of exam on me in any place other than a doctor’s office or hospital so I really wasn’t sure what to expect.
Were they going to cart in a bunch of equipment? Bring in an exam table? Would I be able to wear my own clothes or would they bring one of those little gowns to change into? Would it be a woman? Or a man?
I didn’t think I’d be comfortable with a strange man coming to my house when I was alone and making me change out of my clothes. I’m just sayin’.
I didn’t need to worry though, because it was a lady and she let me keep my clothes on.
However.
It was still probably the most awkward physical I’ve ever been through.
For starters, she had to ask me a series of uncomfortable questions. You know the questions you usually answer in the waiting room? On a sheet of paper? Not verbally?
Well, evidently she couldn’t just hand me the sheet and let me check “Yes” or “No” on my own. She had to verbalize the questions and even though the answer to every one was “No” I could feel myself blushing.
“Have you ever been diagnosed with any of the following: {insert long list of s*xually transmitted diseases}”
No
“Are you on your menstrual cycle?”
Um, goodness, we’re getting personal here.
“Do you use illegal drugs?”
No! {And do people really answer yes to that question, even if they are?}
Not only that but as we neared the end, I got the distinct impression that she felt like I was lying to her.
“Do you consume any alcohol?”
No.
Pauses. Looks up over glasses. “Any AL-CO-HOL. As in wine, beer…any at all?”
No.
Eyebrow raise. “Ohhh-kay…”
After we finished with the never-ending-list-of-impossibly-awkward-questions, she asked my height and then SHE PULLED OUT A SCALE!
It was then that I had the horrible realization that she was going to weigh me.
In my living room.
After Christmas.
With a full bladder.
And all my clothes on.
I almost couldn’t bear to look, but my curiosity got the better of me…and I was shocked.
Her scale had me weighing in a full ELEVEN POUNDS less than my scale. LESS! After Christmas! With a full bladder! And all my clothes on!
“I like your scale,” I said {understatement of the year}
She asked me if I had a digital scale and I said yes and she then proceeded to tell me that they weren’t ALLOWED to use digital scales because they “aren’t as accurate” and that her scale was calibrated with the scale at the doctor’s office and if it gets “even a little bit off” she has to throw it away and buy a new one.
In other wards….HER SCALE WAS RIGHT!
I’m not gonna lie to you…when she left, I did a little happy dance.
And then I ate some chocolate.



13 comments:
Wow, I'm jealous. When we had our life insurance physicals, the lady's scale weighed me six pounds heavier than my home scale. I wanted to cry. But then I weighed on my scale and then on the Wii, and I decided that HER scale was the one that was off because both my scale and the Wii had the same number. So there. :)
Enjoy your chocolate!!!
Merry Christmas to you! That's awesome!!
I wish my scale were digital so I could think I weighed 11 lbs less....stupid scales.
big time jealous. Big time.
I would have had a double cheeseburger ;)
niiiice :)
What a way to start off the new year! Seriously!
How can I get this girl and her scale to come to my house after I have this baby??? :)
I would have eaten chocolate and ice cream if I were you.
Woo hoo! I'm just going to tell myself that my scale is 11 pounds off so I can sneak a little ice cream treat. ;)
Awesome! And I can totally picture you doing a little dance after she left...that's exactly what I would've done. :) Yay for you, skinny mama!
After your second child you might empty the full bladder BEFORE you do your happy dance...just sayin':)
Awesomeness!!! :)
thanks... i needed that bit of laughter right now... i'm sitting at Malachi's bedside, thanks for being uplifting!
Wow, now i would call that a good day!
oh, i hate it when they have to come to your house and do those tests!
but yay for scales that weigh you 11 pounds LESS! that are correct. really, throw them away? wonder why they just can't readjust them?
Post a Comment