Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jun 11, 2011

The Covenant That Sustains The Love

img002

As I write this  Dave and I are exactly 3 hours and 32 minutes away from celebrating our sixth year of marriage. And while this last year probably won’t be the hardest we will experience, it certainly was not the easiest.

It has been fraught with all kinds of stress and pressure.

A year of changes.

A year that has tested the bounds of our endurance in nearly every arena – physical, emotional, mental, spiritual.

It has also been a year of reflection – for both of us – on marriage.

And – can I just say something? I guess it’s my blog, so I don’t really have to ask,  huh? Smile

It’s just…there’s been something that’s been bugging me…something God has been continually laying on my heart time and time again throughout the past year.

I am getting tired – really, really tired – of this notion of “falling in love” and “finding your soulmate.”

Yeah. I said it.

As if love is some fickle emotion that you have no control over, and as if marriage will be a piece of cake as long as you just “find the right person”.

Please don’t misunderstand me – romance, chemistry, physical attraction – they have their place. They are what initially drew us together and are something we continually seek to keep alive in our marriage.

But this notion – this myth – that sustaining a lifetime commitment to another person somehow hinges on your ability to find “the one”; this idea that finding your “soulmate” is the key to a long and happy marriage?

That’s a lie straight from the pit.

The truth is, we were never meant to find our fulfillment in anyone other than Jesus Christ. And marriage is not intended to be the source of our ultimate happiness, but rather a tool for perfecting our holiness. If you go into it expecting anything else, I promise you, you will be disappointed.

Looking at marriage through the lens of holiness…put marriage in a new perspective for me. In fact, it has led me to believe that couples don't really fall "out of love." I think it's more precise to say they fall out of repentance. What usually happens is that we let little vices— like impatience, disrespect, selfishness, pride, and anger— pollute a once-precious relationship. Instead of letting marriage draw us into holiness, we let it draw us into bitterness and accusation.
Gary Thomas

Suppose I told you that I had just “fallen out of love” with my children. Wouldn’t that sound ridiculous? We would never speak of our love for our children in those terms, why then do we so flippantly apply them to our relationship with our spouse?

Sadly, it is common to hear married people speak of “falling out of love” with their spouse and “falling in love” with someone else in adultery. By using the language of “falling,” people are cleverly avoiding any responsibility, as if they are simply required to follow their heart. However, the Bible tells us not to follow our heart, but rather “guard” it because it is prone toward selfishness and sin .
{Source}

Six years ago, we made a commitment. A covenant. And Lord willing, "as long as we both shall live,” we want that covenant to be “the ground where the flower grows.” We may not always “feel” love, but we will not allow our deceitful, desperately wicked hearts to be our guide.

“It is not your love that sustains the marriage, but from now on, the marriage that sustains your love.”
{Dietrich Bonhoeffer}

Lord, let our marriage covenant sustain our love for as many more years as You choose to give us on this earth!

**An just as an aside…contrary to what some of you might be inferring from this blog post, the romance is not dead in our marriage. If I may put it delicately…we still like making babies together Winking smile

10 comments:

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

So so true, I know so many people who are divorcing because they believed in that exact myth. Not realizing its something you have to work at for the rest of your lives, no matter who you are married to!
On another note, we have some close friends who are also celebrating their sixth wedding anniversary today!
Happy Anniversary to the two of you!!!

Sara@iSass said...

I get "vomit mouth" when I hear people talk about falling out of love... I believed in fairy tales oh yes I did, until my parents got divorced and I spent my young adulthood searching for Mr. Right. I got my heart stomped on more times then I care to count, but it all led me to my *ahem* soul-mate. See God knew what kind of soul would make a good mate for me. He needed to have known Jesus a longggg time, because that man needed patience. When I met my Husband I did not trust that he was the one. I kept asking myself "What is wrong with this guy? Nobody can love me this way..." So God decided to break me down further, I went into the hospital for depression. Broke me WIDE open, Not only did I find Jesus, but he led me straight into the arms of my husbnad and said "This is the soul that is to be your life long mate. It will be work, it will take more work then you can even gather right now, but the blessing will be worth it."
And I have to admit, with each passing day, with each passing struggle I "fall" more and more in love with this man. He may not look like my dream prince, he may not pacify me like a dream prince but there is no other man I would want by my side as we walk with Jesus. As my love for the Savior grows, so does the love for my husband. GREAT post!!!

Debbi said...

This is so true and so powerful! Thanks for sharing it.

Laura said...

Great post, Amy!!

My husband and I feel the same way that you do and it just makes us sick that "falling out of love" is all over our world today.

You're right, it is a commitment for better and for worse. I just wish so many people would realize what a big deal marriage is and not treat it so lightly. The world would be a much better place if that happened!!

Megan said...

I so agree! I just wish more people believed the same thing. I have been married for almost two years now and it's been something we've worked at everyday. I am madly in love with my husband...because I choose to be. Because I choose to love him more than any other person. Because I choose to spend the rest of my life with him. And if it wasn't for our faith in God and seeking Him together, it would be a lot easier to just give up when things get rough.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Perfectly put! LOVE all the perfectly fitted quotes and resources! I've been researching a lot about ministry couples and it's devastating how many of those couples have down right horrible marriages because they have chosen other idols rather than fulfilling God's command to love and respect our mates. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

frances said...

Your post was wonderful...very insightful thank you Frances

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Great post, lady. I've been thinking a lot about this notion recently as well....the concept of 'Unconditional Love" to be exact....it seems we apply it to every relationship except marriage. We seem to expect it from our spouse, but we don't give it to our spouse. Even Christians...even myself sometimes. Someone asked me awhile back, Would you stay with your husband if he told you he stepped out on you? And they then proceeded to remind me that I don't believe in or practice unconditional love for him if I consider that (albeit, Christ allowed, not required) as my "out clause"....I was very humbled and extremely challenged by that. Although I've never said 'Oh, i'd leave if he x, y & z" but I've certainly never consciously said "EVEN IF, He said he did x, y & z, I would stand by him and forgive him, and continue to love him and HONOR him, and respect him".
Yowza...talk about humbling. Sorry for the book!
Happy Anniversary!

Jamie said...

You are speaking truth here! Well said!

And Happy (belated) Anniversary!

Warren Baldwin said...

Amy,
We have visited each other's blogs, but it has been awhile. I found an old email and linked back over here.

This is a wonderful post. You are exactly right, we don't speak of falling out of love with our kids. Do we just fall out of love with our spouses? No, we allow it to happen. We neglect to exercise the behavior that developed the love in the first place. We don't forgive, overlook, and press on. This was a great post.

I have a post up on Family Fountain now called "Leaving, Cleaving and Weaving" if you get a chance to visit.

wb

 
Images by Freepik