No, I’m not announcing that I’m a vegetarian…but we have been trying out a few “vegetarian” meals at our house lately.
Not because we have anything against meat. We love our meat.
But…have you noticed? It’s expensive!
And it’s not getting any cheaper.
So for the past few months I’ve been trying something new. We’re doing “Meatless Mondays”.
Except we do it on Thursday. Because that works better for our schedule.
So…“Meatless Thursdays”…doesn’t have quite the same ring to it, but the principle is the same. Every Thursday night I plan a meal with no meat in it {in case you didn’t understand what I meant by “meatless” }
Dave was skeptical, and honestly, I was too. Like I said, we love our meat.
But I think {so far} I’ve managed to find recipes that still work for our tastebuds, and even better, are a {little} easier on our wallets!
Some of the recipes I’ve made:
Baked Manicotti
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Black Bean Salsa Quesadillas
Black Beans and Rice
and, probably my favorite so far, this one:
Corn, Avocado and Black Bean Tostadas
{from the May 20, 2011 issue of All You Magazine}
- 8 six inch corn tortillas
- salt
- 1 {15 oz} can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 T. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 t. lime juice
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350. Arrange tortillas on a baking sheet, mist with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake until beginning to crisp, 5-7 minutes.
- While tortillas are toasting, combine beans, corn, avocado, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Top tortillas, still on baking sheet, with some bean and corn mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar.
- Turn oven to broil and broil tostadas until cheese has melted and is beginning to brown, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately. {I made homemade salsa and rice to go with ours}
**********************
I made this pretty much exactly as written, except I added more cheese. Because I’ve never ever heard anyone say, “Hmmm…I think this could use a little less cheese.”
I thought it was super yummy.
And Dave said, “Not too bad.” Believe me, that’s high praise for a carnivore like my hubby
And can I just say? I’m a little bit in love with black beans right now. So versatile, so yummy, and SO CHEAP!
So after several months of experimenting, I think it’s safe to say, Meatless Thursdays are here to stay.
What about you? Got any meatless recipes for me to try?



6 comments:
Great idea! In my house we have become "weekday vegetarians". We're actually doing it to improve our health. We started with black bean burgers, which are AWESOME. There are tons of recipes on the web so I don't know which to recommend.
Another thing we tried is quinoa stuffed peppers. Quinoa has a lot of protein so it's a great meat substitute. Here is the recipe:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896
AMAZING. It takes forever to prepare so you might make a batch of "stuffing" on the weekend and freeze it. Then one night just pop it in some peppers and bake! Leftover stuffing makes for delish quesadillas!
You need to try Pioneer Woman's Taco Pizza!!! It's meatless and amazing... it will be even cheaper to make when we can get our veggies from the garden!!
Mmmmm cheese.....
Totally going to try that recipe. Looks great!
We love black beans too. I sub them a lot for meat in tacos...can't really even tell. Beans in a pasta salad always makes it good and hearty too. AND black beans and sweet potatoes are a killer combination.
We probably eat meat just once or twice a week. We ordered some grass-fed beef and it's expensive, but since we don't eat it very often we thought it was worth it.
Really, you should watch yourself a documentary on our meat these days and you'll probably be glad you're cutting back. :)
I loooove veggie burgers and sweet potato fries! You can make your own out of BLACK BEANS even :)
no meatless recipes here BUT such a great idea. I never thought about saving money that way. Thanks for sharing the idea and I hope you will keep sharing the recipes too!
Post a Comment