Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Dec 14, 2011

Tree Skirts and Stockings and Pageants, Oh My!

We’ve been having fun doing lots of Christmas-y type activities around here.

I finally got around to making a tree skirt and some stockings that have been on my To Do list for some time.

First, a tree skirt. Last year I used tulle which worked fine but then I saw a link for this tutorial via Pinterest. It looked easy and I already had everything on hand so I thought I’d take a stab at it and I think it turned out pretty well!

December 2011 012Like everything I make, it’s completely imperfect – mine is smaller than the one you see in the tutorial because I somehow managed to cut my circle lopsided and had to make some adjustments.

Also, I used painter’s drop cloth for the ruffles instead of linen.

And I burned my fingers with the glue gun approximately 874 times. That doesn’t really have anything to do with anything, I just thought that you should know.

December 2011 011

Then I made these stockings.

December 2011 014

Ok, I made this STOCKING, singular. The rest of them are in the works. The plan is to do two of them with ruffles and two with pleats, as per my inspiration found here.

image

She used burlap which I loved but I used (surprise, surprise) some canvas painter’s drop cloth because it’s what I had on hand.

Plus it will match my tree skirt and I’m just going to pretend like I planned it that way.

I’m also going to pretend like I meant to make my stockings with a square toe instead of round.

And last, an Advent calendar, which is also not completely finished.

December 2011 015

I was inspired by this calendar that I saw….wait for it…on Pinterest

Source: etsy.com via Amy on Pinterest

 

I just used…drumroll please…canvas painter’s drop cloth to make the little pockets, but I have yet to number them. I’m still trying to make up my mind how to do that. Possibly stencil them, maybe find some fabric and do an iron on or make numbers with buttons. Clearly not something that’s going to get accomplished this year, but if I start working now, maybe it will be ready for next Christmas Smile

In other non-crafty news, Lily had her first Christmas program a few weeks ago.

She was adorable. And I’m not being biased, just see for yourself.

December 2011 001

And this was what her face looked like when she spotted us in the crowd. Be still, my mother’s heart! I hope she’s always that happy to see us Smile

December 2011 003

We’ve also been doing lots of other neat Advent activities, but this post is already insufferably long so I’ll save that for another day.

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything is very cute! I understand not getting the #s on this year - I just don't know how you have the time to accomplish all that you have already! :)

mommy baum said...

nice work amy ;) i love the tree skirt and the stocking......you are so crafty! happy holidays!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I love your tree skirt, stockings, and advent calender! Isn't pinterest amazing?! And really, you are amazing... because I see plenty of great stuff on pinterest... but actually doing it and having it look good? - Another story all together. ;)
Wow is Lily adorable!!

Kelly said...

Love your tree skirt, stockings, and advent calendar! I was hoping to do an advent calendar this year, but it just didn't get done. Lily is absolutely adorable!!

Amber said...

Your tree skirt and stockings are gorgeous! You did a great job on them!

 
Images by Freepik