Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jun 1, 2012

No Such Thing as Normal

I think I may have given up on trying to blog on any sort of a regular “schedule”. It just comes in spurts for me. I’m ok with it.

So what have we been up to? We’ve been busy…of course we’ve been busy, EVERYONE is busy, right?

Since the last time I wrote we had…

  • a bridal shower for my cousin
  • my brother’s college graduationMay 2012 038
  • a bridal shower for my {new} sister-in-law
  • a visit from my best friend and her husband
  • an outbreak of the stomach flu
  • an outbreak of Hand/Foot/Mouth {Ok. “Outbreak” might be an exaggeration. Sophia got a mild case}
  • a surgery for my dad
  • my Mom’s birthday
  • my little youngest brother’s wedding

Still to come are a canoe trip for Dave with our small group guys, my cousin’s wedding, our 7 year anniversary, and my 10 year high school reunion.

And in the midst of all the “special” stuff is all the typical stuff. Which around here can include a number of things. Particularly when you have a four year old and an 18 month old with somewhat destructive tendencies.

Like, for example, the other day, when I gave Lily a tiny watering can and a pitcher of water and let her practice transferring water in between them on the back deck. I was really patting myself on the back for finding an easy, cheap activity to occupy her while I cleaned up the kitchen after lunch.

May 2012 001

Unfortunately, I also gave a tiny watering can to Sophia, and you know, because you are smarter than me, that this probably was not a wise decision. Water + a mischievous toddler = MESS.

While Lily knew enough to keep the water outside, Sophia…did not. When she ran into the kitchen, picked up the broom and started saying, “Wa-wa. Wa-wa. Wa-wa,” I knew something was up.

May 2012 011

This picture really does NOTHING to illustrate the fact that there was “Wa-wa” ALL OVER THE FLOOR.

May 2012 012

Mixed with sand from the sandbox. Awesome.

And then while I was cleaning up that mess I turned to find this one in the living room

May 2012 014

And then later in the day, a bird pooped on my head.

That’s not actually very typical, but it does illustrate my point that, ‘round here, you just never know what a “normal” day will hold.

But that’s ok. I’ll take a messy house and bird poop on my head, in exchange for investing my life in these sweet {albeit sinful} little girls.

IMG_9125

(Well, ok. I could do without the bird poop)

2 comments:

une autre mère said...

Amy I can't believe how fast your girls are growing up! They are so beautiful! You are doing such a fabulous job raising them. Sorry about the bird poop. That happened to me once in 6th grade when I was walking home from school. Hopefully it's just a once in a lifetime thing... So we shouldn't have to worry about that any more, right? ;)

Katie Casey said...

yay! Glad to hear you are coming to the 10 year reunion! Look forward to seeing you there!

 
Images by Freepik