Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Nov 23, 2012

Friday Favorites

One of my favorite food bloggers, Iowa Girl Eats, does a “Friday Favorites” post every week and it’s always one of my favorites. So even though I’m totally not as cool as her, I’m going to shamelessly steal her idea.

Here’s a random list of some of my own recent “Friday Favorites”

Favorite new coffee creamer: Warm Cinnamon Sugar Cookie by Coffeemate – I bought a small container of this when it was on sale at Hy-Vee a couple of weeks ago and I finished it in record time! It tastes good in pretty much every kind of coffee. The only bummer is, it’s a seasonal item – guess I’ll have to stock up at the end of December!!

Warm Cinnamon Sugar Cookie (liquid)

Favorite “Why Didn’t I Think of That” product: Chrome Car Hooks from the Container Store – hook these babies on the back of your headrest and you can hang up your grocery bags instead of having them spill all over the floor of your car. Brilliant!

Favorite Healthy Snack: Carrot sticks dipped in Market Pantry Red Pepper Hummus  – I got a sample of this when I was grocery shopping at Target last week and as soon as I tasted it I did a 180 and went over to the deli section to pick up a container. I’ve always thought hummus was a little too “blah” for me, but the flavor in this is out of this world! This might be the first time I’ve ever bought something based on a free sample. {sorry, no picture for this one, but you can find it in your Target deli section}

Favorite “Steal”: Preserved Boxwood Wreath from Décor Steals – Ok, first of all, have you heard of Décor Steals? They are this fabulous website that offers a new home décor deal every day for a ridiculous price. I’ve never actually bought anything, but I’ve definitely looked longingly at many of the deals they’ve offered in the past. I’m loving the look of boxwood right now and have been wanting a wreath for some time but just couldn’t swallow the $50 PLUS price tag on most of them. Well, today was my lucky day! They’ve got a Black Friday deal on this one for only $29.50! I snatched one up, knowing I’ll be able to use this for my everyday décor as well as for Christmas!

Source: decorsteals.com via Amy on Pinterest

 

Favorite DIY House Update: Carriage Style Garage Doors for Under $10 – seriously, how genius is this? Home Depot offers Carriage Style Garage Door kits for $6.99! I’ve always loved this look that you often see in upscale neighborhoods, but never imagined it would be so easy to update our garage door with that same look! Totally want to do this to our door (although Dave informed me that “we’re going to tape the hardware up there first so we can see how it looks before we go drilling holes in everything”)

Carriage Garage Door

Favorite Fashion Find: Danier Leather Bomber Jacket in Teak – I don’t think I could ever stomach spending this much money on a single article of clothing, but I love the look of this. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for a less expensive knock-off I guess!

Bomber Jacket

Favorite New Christmas Tradition: Advent with the Jesus Storybook Bible – We LOVE our Jesus Storybook Bible, and this website lists out 24 readings, one for each day of December leading up to Christmas. I plan on printing these out on slips of paper and putting them in our Advent calendar. Our goal will be to read one after supper every evening (although some days we’ll be out or busy so we’ll have to improvise on those). I hope this will become one of our more meaningful traditions!

Jesus Storybook Bible

Favorite Medical Tip:  Using Zinc Tablets to Prevent/Shorten Colds – Ok, first a little disclaimer: I am not a doctor and you shouldn’t do anything I say medically unless you ask your doctor first. Understood? Good Smile 

My brother actually gave me this tip last year – these babies are just zinc in tablet form {which is the main ingredient in Zicam btw} We start popping these the second anyone in our family gets sick. It doesn’t always work and it doesn’t necessarily work for everyone. But both Dave and I have noticed a difference in the length and severity of our colds. What might typically take a week to get over usually only lasts a day or two. {Sidenote: We don’t give these to our girls, just us adults}

Zinc

Favorite Christmas Craft Idea: Nazareth to Bethlehem Felt Advent Calendar – How adorable is this? My girls would love it! This would totally be one of those things that could be passed down from generation to generation. I don’t think I’ll have time to do it this year, but it’s definitely on my list to create for next year!

Bethlehem Advent Calendar

 

Favorite Flashback: This picture from November 2011 – can you believe we had our first snow on the 9th last year? This year’s temperatures have been so much milder! Can’t say I’m complaining!November 2011 129

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik