My 20 year old self would be disgusted with me. Then again, my 20 year old self wasn't trying to care for an infant, a preschooler, and a kindergartner, two of which she was homeschooling. And she also didn't have a big house to take care of or a husband to cook for or a five people's laundry to take care of. Come to think of it, the extent of Christmas decorating for 20 year old Amy would have been a strand of Christmas lights entwined around the bookshelf in her dorm room, so...
The thing is, even though my former self always staunchly opposed early Christmas decorating/preparation, my current self understands that things will be much more relaxed and run much more smoothly come December if I get a little jump start on things now. If I do it right, Thanksgiving AND Christmas can both be relaxing and stress free(ish). Theoretically. ;)
Besides, Starbucks has their red cups out now. How can you NOT feel festive? ;)
(I'm trying to justify myself here. Is it working?)
Anywho. The point of all this is, I started doing a little Christmas decorating this past weekend. Nothing too crazy - we'll still wait on the tree until post turkey - but just a few touches here or there. And one of the things I did was make some Christmas-y pillow covers.
I love the idea of having fun holiday pillows, but can't handle the price tag for something I'll only use a month or two out of the year. So when I saw these napkins at World Market the other day, my wheels started turning...could I use these to make some pillows? The answer is yes. Yes I can. And I did.
It was super simple. I'm not really all that great with tutorials, but I will do my best.
I just took two napkins...
I probably should have ironed them first but I didn't. Learn from my mistake. It's easier to iron them when they're like this.
Anyway, then I cut one of the napkins in half like so
And then I laid the whole napkin right side facing down to the floor, and on top of that, matched up the two halves of the other napkin, right side facing down with the hemmed edges towards the middle. Is this making sense? I didn't think so. Pictures are good.
Then I just pinned it all the way around and sewed around the edges. Flipped it inside out and voila! A pillow cover!
The napkins are $1.99 each, and I already had the insert, so this cost me a whopping $4! I made two. And I've got plans in the works for another pillow using a placemat.
Now. So help me I am going to restrain myself from listening to Christmas music until AT least mid-November!
Anyone else caught the holiday bug?
**********
Btw...I feel I should explain that I'm not complaining about my husband, family, and home that I "have" to care for. It's my job and I love it :) It has just obviously changed my priorities and the amount of time I have to spend doing fun stuff like decorating :)



1 comment:
What a cute pillow! And SO easy! Love it!
Post a Comment