Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Nov 19, 2014

I Qit!!!


Sweet Lily...frustrated with the time it was taking her to write her numbers on her math worksheet, wrote this on the top of her page...her version of the word "quit" (which she sounded out all by herself). 

It about broke my heart to see her so frustrated because, as I pointed out to her, a) her numbers look GREAT and b) I recognize in her the same perfectionist spirit I find in myself. That inner, critical voice that leads me to be frustrated at myself for doing something well simply because I couldn't do it perfectly and because it didn't come easily.

So we talked...about how learning new things takes work, how the right kind of practice can help, how learning to read and write well is the goal, but that it's a process that takes time. I told her I want her to know I don't expect perfection, and that it's more important that she do her best work. I told her not to "qit" because something is hard, since almost everything worth doing in life is hard and messy and definitely not perfect. And I told her that Mommy has lived for almost 31 whole years and is still learning those lessons. (And truth be told, my handwriting is kind of awful, but I've survived) 

I tried to help her see the progress she's made since the beginning of the year when her numbers were almost unintelligible, and congratulated her on the initiative she took to try and sound out the word "quit", something she couldn't have done a month ago. 

Every single thing I told her was something I needed to hear myself today...because you know what? Being a mommy is hard and quite frankly, today I wanted to "qit". I'm often so tempted to focus on current imperfections instead of marveling at how far I am from the pit out of which God's grace lifted me.

I am so thankful for God's perfection in the absence of my own, for His grace that urges me to keep going even when it's hard and I make mistakes, for His forgiveness that reaches far, far beyond the extent of my sin. And I'm grateful for His reminder today through the eyes of my child...don't "qit"!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love your new blog design!! And oh my word, yes! Totally can relate to this - in my Lily and myself. Parenting is sanctifying...that's for sure! :)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Oh my yes. I can relate!

 
Images by Freepik