Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

May 1, 2015

The Broken Foot Reading Guide

YOU GUYS!!

I did it again. If you're a long time reader of this blog than you may remember that five years ago, when Sophia was an infant, I broke my wrist.

Well, I'm at it again, only this time it was my foot, and not only did it break it, I also had to have surgery.

BLERGGGGHHHHHHH!!


In case you're wondering, breaking your wrist is better than breaking your foot. (Of course, breaking no bones at all is preferable, but if you are a hopeless klutz like me, that may not be an option.)

Surgery was yesterday, and it went well, the anesthia and pain meds have not made me loopy, only very, very tired. My parents are near and have been helping by playing chauffeur, watching kids during doctors appointments, cooking meals, etc. They are amazing! Unfortunately, my mom injured her back a few months ago and is banned from lifting Luke so Dave's parents dropped everything and drove all the way out here to stay with us and help for the next week and a half - yes, they are the best in-laws I could ever have hoped for! They have been wonderful and along with Dave, have been working their tails off doing all the stuff I can't. 

I'm still not sure how we will make it work once they leave, but right now I'm just enjoying the chance to rest and put my foot up - quite literally - and doing what I can to recover and prepare for being on my own!

And since I have all this unexpected downtime, I've decided to take the opportunity to do some reading! I put my Amazon Prime account to good use and ordered several books I've had on my wish list for awhile. So here's what's on my Recovering From a Broken Foot Surgery reading list. Maybe you'll find something for your own list, too (although I don't recommend breaking a bone to make time for it :)

1) Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson
Of course you all know how much I adore a good Sally book. She has decades of wisdom from raising and homeschooling four children. Her vision for living a big picture kind of life with eternity in view is constantly inspiring me. I'm only a couple of chapters in to this one, but it promises to be as good as her others!



2) 
Women of the Word:How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds by Jen Wilkin

I can't say enough about this book! Every Christian woman (and dare I say, even the men?) should read it! Jen is a member of Matt Chandler's church in Dallas, TX (a pastor whose sermons both Dave and I have been tremendously impacted by), and is a gifted teacher of the Word. Here's an excerpt from the first chapter to whet your appetite:
(Speaking of Moses and the burning bush) "Moses asks the wrong questions: Who am I? What should I do? Rather than answer him, 'Moses, you are my chosen servant. You are my precious creation, a gifted and wise leader,' God responds by completely removing Moses from the subject of the discussion and inserting himself. He answers Moses's self focused question of 'Who am I?' with the only answer that matters: I AM."

We are like Moses. The Bible is our burning bush - a faithful declaration of the presence and holiness of God. We ask it to tell us about ourselves, and all the while it is telling us about "I AM."

...The Bible does tell us who we are and what we should do, but it does so through the lens of who God is...In fact, there can be no true knowledge of self apart from the knowledge of God."

And finally,

"We come to understand who God is, and we are changed - our affections detach from lesser things and attach to him. If we want to feel a deeper love for God, we must learn to see him more clearly for who he is. If we want to feel deeply about God, we must learn to think deeply about God...

We must love God with our minds, allowing our intellect to inform our emotions, rather than the other way around." (emphasis mine)

Aaaahhhh!!! isnt that GOOD stuff??? I'm just going to be a little bit bossy and tell you that you need to read the rest of it ASAP! :)

3) Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel

This has been on my list to read for YEARS!! I know that no book can give us all the right answers for our parenting, but I want to immerse myself as much as possible in quality, grace saturated, gospel focused books that take me back to God's Word and remind me of what my focus and intentions in parenting ought to be. I'm hoping this book fits those qualifications! But, disclaimer, I have not even started it so I can't make any recommendations yet. I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished! (Assuming you are interested in my opinion? :)

4) Housewife Theologian: How the Gospel Interrupts the Ordinary by Aimee Byrd

This is new on my list but comes as a recommendation from Nancy Guthrie, an author of several Bible studies that I highly recommend. From the description:

This book is for women—for all women who want to explore beneath the superficial and get to know God, and themselves, better.

While striving to find meaning amid the mundane and ordinary, many women find themselves swallowed up by culture's expectations, trying to escape the labels that trap and define them. But Aimee Byrd is determined to reclaim terms like housewife, which have divided many women, to unite them instead in their common calling.

What is this calling, and how can women rise above what the world offers? By taking back another term—theologian—and knowing God intimately. Aimee will help you evaluate your Christian life and see your world from a different perspective.

Again, haven't started it and I know very little about the author but I'm looking forward to diving in and seeing what she has to say!

5) Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home by Gloria Furman
Perhaps you are noticing a trend of Gospel + Home + Parenting here? :)

I read an excellent book last year by Gloria Furman (Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full) and SO enjoyed the nuggets of wisdom she had to offer. I am looking forward to reading this one as well!

6) In This House We Will Giggle by Courtney DeFoe
I don't know about you, but the longer I'm a mom, the more I realize how profoundly my attitude impacts the tone of my home. Mom being grumpy/cranky/moody = often equals a grumpy/cranky/moody and generally unpleasant atmosphere. I am so excited to read her take on how to lighten up the atmosphere of my home while teaching my children virtue!


What do indoor picnics and funny face contests have to do with loving Jesus?
More than you realize!
 
As a mom in the throes of parenting, Courtney DeFeo believes that instilling virtues in children starts with laughter, not lecture. That perspective propelled her to create this idea-packed book, in which she offers motivating reflections, real-life stories, and a sandbox full of inventive ways to help you turn your kids’ hearts toward God. 
 
Each chapter focuses on one virtue that is key for developing your child’s character. Along with insights into how this virtue plays out in the nitty-gritty of life, Courtney includes a memory verse, activity ideas, and discussion questions to reinforce that virtue throughout the month. Here you’ll find a full year of ways to draw your children closer to God through delightful antics like Family Olympics, One Fancy Feast, and Light ’Em Up.
 
In This House, We Will Giggle shows you how to capture the hearts of your children through fun—so that they experience the goodness of Christ, the joy of following Him, and the difference they can make in the lives of others. (Water balloons not included!)

So there you have it! That's the stack of books that are keeping me and my sore foot company for the next few weeks. Do you have any I should add?

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik