It’s making me uncomfortable.
It’s making me feel bad about myself.
It is revealing who I am, and right now there are parts of the picture that just ain’t pretty.
The verses I read today feel like the worst verses EVER. I don’t want to think about them, but I can’t get them out of my head.
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. (Ephesians 5:3-4)
There are lots of different applications to these verse. LOTS. What is God teaching me here? So much…I don’t know if I can capsulize it, but I’ll try (mincing words is not my forte :)
These verses say that there should be not even a hint of sexual immorality, any kind of impurity, greed, obscenity, foolish talk, or coarse joking. NOT EVEN A HINT. There really isn’t a lot of wiggle room there. Not even a hint means – no hint – zero, zip, none, nada, NOTHING.
Which means I should first, not be participating in these behaviors – not really an issue for me right now. It also means (and here’s where it gets rough for me) I should not be joking about, or listening to others joke about these kinds of things.
I’ve let myself become complacent in some areas – I’ve let myself get “used” to hearing a lot of inappropriate things, and I’m speaking mainly about things I watch on TV, and these are things that should make me uncomfortable to hear about. And they don’t. At least, not as much as they used to. I won’t say more today because I’m still mulling it over. If I tried to type everything I’m thinking, this would be the longest post EVER. Maybe there will be more in the days to come when I’ve had time to work through some things.
I also read in Proverbs today and found great comfort in these verses:
My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in (Proverbs 3:11-12)
I am so thankful I serve a God who cares enough to correct me. Like a mother who bats her child’s hand away from a hot stove, God is a Father who loves His children enough to say “No,” when they are doing what’s bad for them. My momentary discomfort and guilt is for my own good, and if I know what’s good for me, I will listen and not be a stubborn toddler throwing a temper tantrum because I’m not getting my way. I pray that my response to His correction is one that is pleasing to Him!
Until next time…



2 comments:
Great post! I need the reminder (heavenly spanking) too!
I second that...it's amazing how applicable God's word really is...we often think we're "not so bad" and then, BAM, we realize how actually "so bad" we are...it humbling...and necessary and proof that God is working and we have HOPE! :) Thanks for the reminder, Amy - but most of all - THANKS to God for His word!
Post a Comment