Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Apr 14, 2009

Eat Your Veggies!

I made a terrible discovery on Sunday night.

You probably aren't going to want to hear this but I'm going to tell you anyway.

We didn't have church so Dave and I were just relaxing on the couch. We had just put Lily to bed and decided that we were finally hungry for some dinner. Dave suggested ordering pizza but I turned that idea down because I had the vague notion that after our giant meal of ham and cheesy potatoes earlier in the day, perhaps we should opt for something a little lighter and healthier. So I suggested Jimmy John's.

If you've never eaten at Jimmy John's before, you don't know what you are missing. Best. Subs. Ever.

And as far as healthy goes, well the subs have vegetables on them. They've got to be better for you than pizza, right? Right?

We went to their website to check their menu, and if I could take back what I did next I would...for reasons still unbeknownst to me, I decided to click on the "Nutritional Information" of the sandwich I ordered.

Right there in black and white it said: Calories -- 807

Are you kidding me? 807 calories in a sandwich? With vegetables on it? I could eat 4 pieces of greasy pizza from Pizza Hut for that!

Luckily, I read the nutritional information before we ordered, so I could cut the sandwich in half and eat part of it on Sunday night and save part of it for lunch the next day.

I'm kidding of course. I ate the whole sandwich that night and enjoyed every delicious calorie.

But my delusion that eating things with vegetables makes them better for you has been shattered. Now I'll feel as guilty eating Jimmy John's as I do eating greasy pizza. Ignorance is bliss, I tell you...

3 comments:

Megan Epley said...

That makes me really sad. I LOVE Jimmy Johns. I always order the same thing so now I'm going to check out the calories...

Lindy said...

That makes me curious...what sandwich do you typically order?

Amy said...

Well, maybe your favorite sandwich is better than mine!

I always get the Vito (#5) and I add mayo...which makes it worse.

I used to sometimes get the Italian Night Club which is like the Vito but w/extra meat...I don't even want to KNOW how many extra calories that extra meat adds!

 
Images by Freepik