This past weekend was Mother’s Day. Technically, it was my second one, since I was pregnant last year at this time. But this was the first one that I had where I could actually see and hold my baby girl.
Dave had asked me what I wanted for Mother’s Day and I told him that all I wanted was:
- To sleep in
- To not cook and,
- To not change any diapers
But although I did enjoy catching a few extra winks, the best part of the day was spending time with the little girl who gives me a reason to celebrate Mother’s Day in the first place.
There is nothing like the feeling of walking into a room and having your baby girl (or boy) light up with a huge grin.
I love it when I pick her up from the nursery at church and she holds her arms out to me like I am her favorite person in the world.
I love it when she is getting sleepy and snuggles into me.
I love it when she meets someone new and shyly puts her head on my shoulder – it’s like she’s saying, “Mom, I know I’m safe with you.”
I love it when I tickle her and she gives me a belly laugh.
I love watching her eating something new and the faces she makes, and I love watching her as she plays with a new toy. You can almost see the wheels turning as she tries to figure it all out.
Now that I’m on the other side of things, I realize all the love and emotion my own mom felt for me. I realize the sacrifices she made without my even knowing about it. The things I do for Lily my mom did for me, and it makes me appreciate her on a whole new level.
Growing up, I took it for granted that my mom was always there. When I got sick at school, I knew I could call and she would be home to take care of me. When I forgot my assignment, she would run it up to me. I never rode the bus – she or my dad always picked me up and then listened to my mundane chatter all the way home from school. She never seemed to get bored with my stories. There was such a comfort just knowing that she was THERE.
I know now what a tremendous sacrifice it was for her to do that – she often went without things – new clothes, things for the house, sleep, her sanity ;) – and I took that for granted.
So I want you to know now, Mom that I truly appreciate all you have done and are still doing for me.
Thanks for knowing when to listen and when to speak and thanks for being a steady presence in my life. Not everyone has that.
Most of all, thanks for sharing with me the good news about Jesus. You knew I couldn’t “inherit” your faith like I did your blonde hair and your hazel eyes – but you did share with me what you believed and welcomed me to examine it, test it, and take it as my own. You are part of what opened my eyes to Christ and what He did for me and that is a legacy that will last forever. I hope and pray that I can be an instrument in my own daughter’s life as you were in mine.
Happy Mother’s Day (a day late)!
P.S. Thanks also for trying to teach me about cooking and cleaning. It’s my own fault that more of that didn’t stick :)



No comments:
Post a Comment