Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jun 9, 2009

Summer Days Driftin' Away

Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.
John Lubbock

What I Love About Summer...

The Smells...
  • freshly cut grass
  • flowers of all kinds
  • coconut sunscreen
  • the pool (gotta love that chlorine :)
  • FRESH AIR!
  • food cooking on a charcoal grill

The Sights

  • kids riding bikes and out playing in their yard
  • blue sky, green grass, puffy white clouds, flowers in every shade
  • leaves on the trees -- no more bare branches!
  • fireworks on the Fourth
  • couples walking hand in hand

The Tastes

  • chocolate peanut butter ice cream in a waffle cone
  • cool drinks on a hot day: Vanilla Coke, Iced Tea, Lemonade
  • Freeze Pops
  • food on the grill: brats, hamburgers, steak, pineapple, shish kabobs, porkchops...I could go on :)
  • a hot dog at the ball park

The Feel

  • of cool grass on bare feet
  • the warm sun on your skin
  • a refreshing dive in the pool

The Sounds

  • kids laughing
  • birds chirping
  • the splashing of water
  • the wind whistling through the trees
  • thunder
  • rain on the roof when you're snuggled in bed

And more

  • picnics in the park
  • playing outdoor sports
  • relaxing on the porch at night
  • long walks and good talks
  • bike rides
  • sleeping with the windows open
  • a nice tan (I know...shame on me! ;)
  • wearing flip flops
  • chasing fireflies

Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world.
Ada Louise Huxtable

What's your favorite thing about summer?

3 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Thunderstorms that cool the day off!

Sprinklers!

Lemonade!

Unknown said...

Yeah ... I love summer.

Why is it that we don't use coconut lotion or bath stuff in the winter? Just an observation.

Jenn said...

I heart summer and sunshine too.
I love the warmth of the sun.
I love having windows open in the house and the car.
I love hearing people's music blaring.
I even love the hispanic neighbor's latin music (the happy song, not the sad song) blarring with laughter and talking mixed in. It reminds me of our vacations in mexico or nicaragua.
The only thing I do hate is that annoying little mini motorcycle thing that keeps zipping up and down our street at all hours of the night.

ahhh....I heart summer. What a fun post!

 
Images by Freepik