Since I started staying at home I've tried hard to give myself some sort of routine each week. It helps keep me from wandering aimlessly around the house flitting from project to project like a hyperactive hummingbird. I try to have one big project or task that I want to complete each day.
Mondays are Laundry Day. In theory, anyway.
I start with good intentions. I sort the laundry, measure detergent, tackle stains, start the washing machine. My goal by the end of the day is to have everything washed, dried, folded, and tucked neatly back in our drawers. I want to be able to see the bottom of that hamper.
That's my goal. As I write this, I honestly have to say that I don't believe that has ever happened.
If you were to walk into our house on any given Tuesday, you would find laundry in various stages of completion in nearly every room of our house. A pile of yet to be folded clean clothes on the floor in the living room, a basket of already folded clothes in the bedroom, a load in the washer, a load in the dryer, and a hamper half full of still dirty clothes in the laundry room.
Every week I think to myself, "Where did I go wrong?" There are, after all, only 3 people living in this house, one of whom is roughly the size of a Cabbage Patch doll. We should not be generating this much laundry!
Well, folks it ends today. Today I declare battle royale on the laundry pile. I will not be beaten. I am going to wash, fold, and put away clothes until not one dirty sock remains and at the end of the day I will look at the hamper and I will see the bottom.
I will feel the thrill of victory for at least 2.5 seconds.
Then we will change into our pajamas...and throw our dirty clothes into the hamper.
And now I raise my little white flag in surrender....
Jul 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Wow! I suddenly feel inspired to tackle my hamper. I don't think I've ever heard such a great pep talk for laundry. But I can't start a load yet because my baskets are being occupied... my clothes are still sitting neatly folded in them in my bedroom and have been since Friday... At least I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't seem to master getting laundry done in one afternoon.
How'd it go? I've declared battle several times and never won the war. If you've come up with a successful strategy, I might pay you for it. :D
I dunno, that sounds like a strategy for burnout. Why does it all have to be done at once?
My thought... if it can be sorted into load types (whites, darks, towels, jeans) and each category gets done once a week - I call it a success. But I'm a single girl - so a full hamper of various loads doesn't take up all that much space.
I became a SAHM a few months ago. I must say, I'm so glad to see that I'm not the ONLY one that lives this way :).
Post a Comment