- my house to always be sparkling clean and perfectly organized from top to bottom, all of the time
- a baby who sleeps, eats, and behaves like a perfect angel
- for parenting and discipline to come as naturally as breathing
- to always have enough energy to do everything I want
- to start a project and never have to leave it unfinished
- for nobody that I love to ever hurt. Ever.
- to stop struggling with my selfishness, pride, and sinful nature
- gorgeous weather without end
- to be able to eat what I want, never work out, and still have a fit and toned body
In short, I just want everything to be perfect. Is that so much to ask?
This is how my prayers have been looking lately....it doesn't take much for me to lose perspective and start focusing on self instead of on Christ.
I read this quote a few weeks ago and I keep coming back to it:
God is more concerned about our character than our comfort. His goal is not to pamper us physically, but to perfect us spiritually.
Paul Powell {emphasis mine}
You see, my idea of perfection is different from God's. He wants my holiness, not my happiness. And He recognizes that sometimes it takes difficult circumstances to heighten my awareness of my own sin and my need for Him.
So I'll thank Him for that broken fridge that revealed my impatience and tendency to be a control freak.
And I will recognize that the "imperfect" days in my eyes are a part of God's perfect plan for my life. How great to serve a God who can bring beauty from imperfection!
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
I Peter 1:6-7



3 comments:
Great post! I definitely needed this reminder.
Have seen you in a while - we need to catch up sometime!
Found your blog through Boo Mama where you left your favorite verse. I seem to have this "perfection" problem too because as I was reading your post I found myself agreeing with everything that you wrote. :)
What a wonderful post! I have such trouble writing about these things because I feel so personal about it - but I think you've hit this right on. God doesn't need me to be a good role model as far as cleaning, fashion, or even intelligence are concerned. God wants me to be a beacon of light, leading others to Him. To be in a relationship with Him. And I can't do that while trying to control every other pointless (in the eternal sense) aspect of my life.
Post a Comment