Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Aug 10, 2009

Power Defined

Yesterday afternoon I ran to Target to pick up some groceries and while I was there I got a phone call from Dave. My phone doesn’t get very good reception in the store so all I heard him say was, “It’s storming really bad outside, I wasn’t sure if you knew.” Then we lost the connection. I headed to the front of the store and saw that it was indeed raining pretty hard. I figured I wouldn’t be able to leave until it was over anyway so I finished up my shopping.

It wasn’t until I got home that I realized just how bad the storm was. This is what greeted me as I pulled into our driveway.

Poor tree. It looks like somebody took a bite out of it.

Our neighbor’s tree suffered a similar fate, and our power was knocked out until around midnight.

Can you believe that happened from the force of a straight line wind – not even a tornado? Wow. That’s power.

You know what I find even more amazing? That the God I serve harnesses that wind. He tells the lightning where to strike and the rain where to fall. He controls nature.

He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth...He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.' The breath of God produces ice, and the broad waters become frozen. He loads the clouds with moisture; he scatters his lightning through them. At his direction they swirl around over the face of the whole earth to do whatever he commands them. With God is awesome majesty. As for the Almighty, we cannot find Him; He is excellent in power, in judgment and abundant justice.
Job 37:3, 6, 10-12, 22-23 (NIV, NKJV -- emphasis mine)

WOW. Now THAT’S power.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We serve such a mighty and powerful God and I am so thankful!

 
Images by Freepik