Do you ever feel like your life flows in inevitable cycles of good and bad? Ups and downs? Hills and valleys?
There are days when I feel on top of the world. I am organized and efficient. I am super mom/wife/daughter. Things just go right. Life feels good and easy.
And then there are days {weeks} where I feel like no matter what I do I just can't get ahead. Nothing I do or say comes out right. I plan to leave 15 minutes early and somehow still arrive 30 minutes late. If something bad could happen, it does.
That's the kind of week I had last week. I felt like somebody had stuck a giant "Kick Me" sign on my back.
Broken garbage disposal. Dishes chipped in the dishwasher. Malfunctioning washer. Having an impromptu garage sale (good) that I was unprepared for (bad). Horrible cramps and a bad headache. Late nights, early mornings, and some seriously raging hormones to boot.
Then, in what was a fitting end to the week, I locked my keys in the car.
Or, to be more accurate, my car locked me out.
I wish I were kidding.
I was buckling Lily into her car seat, keys in hand, and she kept trying to grab onto them, so I tossed them on the front seat -- mistake #1.
I shut the passenger door -- mistake #2.
I grab the handle to open the driver's side door and hear an ominous, "Click". The automatic locks, automatically locked themselves. With my keys inside...and my child!
I just stood there frozen thinking, "Oh, no. No you did not!" But it did.
We began the process of breaking into our car. Dave with a wire hanger -- no luck. My dad with a bevy of lock picking tools -- close, but no cigar.
Car alarm blaring, neighbors gawking, baby crying, my face flaming....we call the police.
Finally, after an agonizing 6o plus minutes, we manage to snag the keys from the front seat and shove them through a miniscule crack in the door just enough to push the "Unlock" button on the the key fob.
The police officer says, "Well, be thankful your anti-theft system is working so well. We had about 10 vehicles broken into last night and those people are wishing their cars would have been a little harder to get into."
And that, my friends, is what we like to call irony.
Here's to having a better week.
Sep 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
Oh....wow. You poor thing :(
I guess that's one advantage for me being captive in my home with 3 little babies.....I don't really go anywhere by myself with them ;)
Good story, though....and in a week or two you'll laugh, right?
yes yes! Here's to a better week. It's all about perspective, right? I believe irony is just God's way of making sure we're paying attention =)
new to the blog and I'm loving it!
Wow. How terrifying! If that happened here in Texas the first step would be to call the cops. It's so stinking hot that our cars become ovens.
Wow - I didn't know the cops would come help. I've locked my keys in my car twice and called a locksmith each time because I was 40 min from home. $40.
Megan, don't worry -- the police will ONLY come if there is a child inside, so you didn't waste your money -- just be sure that next time you lock your keys in your car, you leave Jack in there too...KIDDING! ;0)
And Chelsea, you reminded me of another thing to thank the Lord for -- an unseasonably cool August day! Otherwise the situation would have been far more urgent for sure!
Oh no! That's a sad story. Thank goodness it wasn't one of those horribly hot weeks with her inside.
This does make me feel a little better though....:) one time I was bringing stuff into our church so I left Henry in the car and ran my stuff inside. I came back out and he was locked in. The car was running. Everyone saw it. I felt dumb. About 45 minutes later my husband finally arrived with another set of keys. Why do cars like to lock us out??
let's hope next week runs a bit smoother!
Oh buddy. Something very similar once happened to me - not that this makes your week any better, but rest assured that you are not alone :) I started to comment all about my experience, but it was getting too long...I think I'll have to make it into a blog post. With kudos to you for inspiration, of course.
Tomorrow is another day :)
Abby and Sarah...thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one...I don't feel like such a terrible mother now :)
Oh no! Scary.
Though I'm sure if it had been dangerously hot - you wouldn't have thought twice about breaking a window. (I should hope - otherwise... hmmm.) Ya know... $400 vs your baby. Easy choice.
Post a Comment