Let me tell you a sad story about a poor, disillusioned girl...we'll call her "Jamie".
Jamie had dreams of decorating cakes. Big, beautiful cakes with pretty flowers and bows. She was sure she could do it, with the right knowledge and the right tools.
She set out to achieve her dreams. She bought a cake leveler, and a spatula, and even a fancy cake dome.
Jamie had dreams of decorating cakes. Big, beautiful cakes with pretty flowers and bows. She was sure she could do it, with the right knowledge and the right tools.
She set out to achieve her dreams. She bought a cake leveler, and a spatula, and even a fancy cake dome.
She enrolled in a class all about cake decorating, and she had so much fun learning how to make frosting and roses and stars.
There was just one problem. She wasn't very good at it. Her roses and her stars looked the same. Come to think of it, all her decorations just looked like giant globs of frosting.
But that didn't deter Jamie. Oh, no.
"Practice is what I need," she thought.
Poor, naive Jamie. She just didn't quite understand that cake decorating wasn't in her skill set.
And, in her blissful ignorance, she decided that she would decorate a cake. But not just any cake. A very important cake, for a very important day. Her daughter's {we'll call her Milly}birthday.
She realized too late that she was not up to the task, and on the eve of the party, she began to stress.
And bite her fingernails.
And cry.
And she asked her bloggy friends to please pray that her cake would turn out ok.
And she asked her family to please not laugh when they saw the cake.
And she put Dairy Queen on speed dial just in case a back up ice cream cake was needed.
And she hoped to high heavens that her cake would not end up on here.
How did it turn out? I'll let you know after Lily, er, Milly's birthday party tomorrow.
I'll take pictures.
Maybe.
There was just one problem. She wasn't very good at it. Her roses and her stars looked the same. Come to think of it, all her decorations just looked like giant globs of frosting.
But that didn't deter Jamie. Oh, no.
"Practice is what I need," she thought.
Poor, naive Jamie. She just didn't quite understand that cake decorating wasn't in her skill set.
And, in her blissful ignorance, she decided that she would decorate a cake. But not just any cake. A very important cake, for a very important day. Her daughter's {we'll call her Milly}birthday.
She realized too late that she was not up to the task, and on the eve of the party, she began to stress.
And bite her fingernails.
And cry.
And she asked her bloggy friends to please pray that her cake would turn out ok.
And she asked her family to please not laugh when they saw the cake.
And she put Dairy Queen on speed dial just in case a back up ice cream cake was needed.
And she hoped to high heavens that her cake would not end up on here.
How did it turn out? I'll let you know after Lily, er, Milly's birthday party tomorrow.
I'll take pictures.
Maybe.



13 comments:
Whoa buddy :) I can't wait to see it! I bet it's beautiful - especially for a one-year-old to demolish :)
Well....let me tell you about Caleb's first birthday cakes....because I thought he needed 3...and I made three...Big Bird, Ernie and Cookie Monster....and I start-tipped every last inch of those bad boys! I never could get Ernie's skin tone quite right, so we had the African-American version, instead of the one who looks more like a vanilla wafer. I'm anxious to see the pictures!!! I'm sure you did a wonderful job!
XO Amy Lackey
Oh Amy :) You made me laugh! I'm sure the cake will be wonderful. And even if it doesn't look perfect - I'm sure it will still taste great!
I can't wait to see the pictures :)
It won't take much for your cake to kick my cakes butt :)
I'm sure it will be great! You are far more accomplished than I :)
Can't wait to see picture!!! You are too funny :)
Okay Amy (L) I am laughing my head off over here at your comment! Heaven's to Betsy am I ever glad I didn't decide to make three cakes. I would probably be having a nervous breakdown :)
Beck, it's easy for you to say it will be wonderful, you've got some serious cake decorating skills :)
And Katie...all I can think about is that poor pitiful cake we decided to decorate a few years ago...we make quite the cake decorating pair :)
I gave up my dreams of being a cake decorator years ago. Now it's the local bakery or grocery store, and I don't even bat an eyelash about it. Have fun and her party and don't stress! Enjoy this time!
I've had fanatcies of making elaborate cakes. My freind Heather's mom made a spiderman cake for her sons 5th birthday. amazing....you are brave!
Oh Amy, (I mean Jamie)... I'm sure your cake will be incredible. And please, do NOT put DQ on your speed dial! Don't you remember what happened to Addie's poor ice cream cake? Check out my post on Sept.3... Thankfully it was just for our family and not for her party!
I can't wait to see your brilliant creation! ;)
Okay, sorry to comment twice in a row, but I was wrong about the post I told you to check out - it was actually on the 4th...
I'll stop taking up your comment space now.
You must share pictures! I admire you for even attempting such a task.
i tried my hand at cake decorating too and finally decided to give it up =p
my poor flowers looked like big globs too! heehee and my cakes were never level, icing either too think or not thick enough...oh, my list could go on...
thanks for visiting my blog!
Ok, so cake decorating is one of my secret dreams. I would LOVE to take classes! But the roses scare me...don't think I could pull those off! I cannot wait to see your cake - I'm sure it's fabulous. Plus - it's cake - everybody will only care how it tastes, right??? At least that's what I tell myself whenever I mess up one of my cakes. Ha!
I hope it turned out great...and I am sure it was devoured.
Post a Comment