Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Sep 28, 2009

The One Where I Sound Like Debbie Downer

**Please forgive me if I sound a little like Debbie this morning -- sometimes it feels good to do a little venting.**

Apparently last week was The Week For Everything To Break Down at our house.

  1. Monday morning -- the computer. Push the power button and...nothing. So for the second time in roughly a month, I take it in to the Geek Squad, talk to the same guy, who tells me the same thing. "Blah blah blah something about your "motherboard" blah blah blah {insert a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo}." It'll be another 2-4 weeks before it's fixed. FAN-TASTIC.

    I hate to say it, but with all the trouble we've had with this computer, I think Macintosh might just have themselves a new customer. You know what they say -- "Once you go Mac you never go back." Which is much better than the HP slogan which is, "Once you go HP you will want to bang your head repeatedly against a hard brick wall or gouge your eyes out with a dull metal object,"...or something like that. Thank the Lord we bought the extended warranty, that's all I have to say!

    Anyway.
     
  2. Then Tuesday afternoon -- the driver's side window on our car. Dave rolls it down and it decides it doesn't want to roll back up. We take it to our friendly auto mechanic who tells us he can fix it for somewhere in the neighborhood of  $500. Which is great because we've just got a big old pile of money stashed under the mattress that we've been waiting to put towards something like a car window instead of say, food or clothing for our child. Why couldn't the window have gotten stuck UP instead of DOWN?
     
  3. And finally, Wednesday morning -- my hair dryer. Still blowing air but it's COLD. It only took me about an hour and a half to dry my hair. To some this may not seem like much of an issue, but I've been blessed with hair that has just enough wave to it that if I let it "air dry" it looks like a perm gone horribly, horribly wrong. So I guess it's time to break out the hair gel and do some "scrunching" until I can afford a new one. 
You know what though? As difficult as it is to accept, I have to remind myself that none of this comes as a surprise to God. Somehow it's all part of His plan for me. And it could be worse...so much worse.

I've been listening to a lot of Caedmon's Call lately and these words particularly caught my ear the other day:

Well this day's been crazy
But everything's happened on schedule
from the rain and the cold
To the drink that I spilled on my shirt
'Cause You knew how You'd save me
before I fell dead in the garden
And You knew this day
long before You made me out of dirt

He's not surprised. And He's still in control. I need to rest in that.

Hope I haven't spoiled your Monday for you :)


Photobucket

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Mac! That saying is so true....

Here's to a better week! :)

H-Mama said...

gurrl! i don't know what i'd do without my computer guy {aka hubs}! hope your weeks gets much better!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

two things.....1) GET A MAC!! You will love it--we've had ours 2 years, and not had one.single.problem. Not one.

2) don't you hate it when you have to buy those stupid things...like the things in life we dont plan on...ugh.

last thing...hope your week gets better :\

Mandi said...

First, you do not sound like DD. :) Very cute... I might have to use that name sometime.
I love reading your entries - sometimes I feel like I'm reading my own journal... thanks for transparency and honesty. I think we all need to share in the struggle... :)

Joel said...

I love your hair scrunched! Marie N9th right? :)

Joel said...

Oh and we have a Dell - no problems with it either. I don't like it when your computer breaks because I like reading your daily blogs :)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Oh Beck -- I knew you would say that about my hair :) It's Marie Chaparal now... ;)

une autre mère said...

Oh, Amy! What a rotten week! I hope this one goes a lot better for you.

I have to agree with the other fellow Mac users - they're soooo much better! After having wasted hours of my life on the phone with Microsoft and having lost a lot of important work-related documents, we decided to get a Mac and will NEVER go back!

And hey, I have an extra hair dryer if you would like to borrow it! I can drop it off on my next outing to Target or you can pick it up any time! Just let me know!

This Heavenly Life said...

Boo for bad weeks :( But you really don't sound like Debbie Downer - on the contrary, you ended it with confidence in the grand scheme of things. Very positive indeed.

Jamie said...

Ugh...frustrating stuff! Your perspective is good though.

Hoping the rest of your week goes well.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're having a tough time! I hate it when my hair dryer goes out, but my hair just falls flat and limp against my head!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, and once you go Mac, you will never even dream of going back. You'll cry if forced to use a PC. :)

 
Images by Freepik