I consider my freshman year of college to be one of the defining years of my adult life. I had many life experiences and met so many people who became lifelong friends. One of those people was my roommate, Ellen. Yesterday was her birthday, and I’d like to dedicate this post to her.
Ellen moved in with me mid-semester. I had gotten the news before Christmas break that my previous roommate was dropping out of school and as far as I knew, nobody else would be joining me. I’d have a dorm room all to myself. My suitemate Molly and I were practically giddy with excitement over the news. We had all sorts of plans for what to do with the extra space. We could have a workout area! And extra space for clothes! And a dance floor! Ok maybe not…but the possibilities seemed endless…
Then we got the news – I was going to have a new roommate after all. Her name was Ellen.
This was a disaster. We had already rearranged the room and now we were going to have to move everything back to accommodate another person. We set to moving the furniture all the while muttering, “Stupid Ellen!” (I know -- we were pretty mature).
Then we met her and we realized she wasn’t stupid. She was fun! And interesting! And sweet! I couldn’t have handpicked a better roommate! And she was always making me laugh…
Then we met her and we realized she wasn’t stupid. She was fun! And interesting! And sweet! I couldn’t have handpicked a better roommate! And she was always making me laugh…
Like the night she decided to sleep with pantyhose on her head. She’d heard that if you washed your hair at night, then stretched a pair of Leggs over it, it would keep your curls from getting frizzy. I don’t remember if it worked or not but I do remember us laughing hysterically when she woke up the next morning with a big mark on her forehead because the pantyhose were too tight. She just sighed, looked at me and said, “Control top. Oops.” (I’m sure when I took this picture she never expected me to broadcast it over the Internet years later. You’re welcome, Ellen :)
And you’ll never guess who her date was for Spring Banquet that year. I’ll give you a clue: he’s a close personal friend. Actually, my best friend. The father of my child. Also known as my husband. This was before we started dating. I found out later he wanted to ask me but I already had a date all lined up – and Ellen wanted to go with someone else (the man who eventually became her husband) but he already had a date lined up. So Dave and Ellen went together, as friends – but the story of how that came about is a whole ‘nother kettle o’ fish.
I miss having her close by to make me laugh at her gullibleness (gullibility? Are those even words?) and encourage me with her sweet, tender spirit.
Thanks for being a once in a lifetime kind of friend Ellen. I wouldn’t trade you for a million empty dorm rooms. Happy Birthday!





7 comments:
Those kinds of friendships are just so priceless. :) She sounds wonderful!
Love these kinds of friends and memories.
What a great friend and a wonderful tribute.
Blessings,
Amy
I did not remember that she went w/ Dave to spring banquet. Funny stuff :)
That is all funny because Lindsey & I had heard that she was going to move in with us because one of our roommates in 414 was student teaching...and we were told 'Ellen ******* is moving in with you'....she never showed ;)
How sweet! There's nothing like lifelong friends. I always kind of wished I'd gotten to live in a dorm and make all kinds of really close friends - but I got to live at home during college, and never got the chance. I loved this little glimpse into dorm life :)
Oh - gullibility sounds right to me.
Ames,
You made me laugh out loud and then want to cry. I miss you all so much! I can still hear Ellen saying "Da-vid" because that's what she decided to call him that whole spring banquet weekend. It was more proper :) That was the weekend I fell in love with Joel. Sometimes when I get mad I say "Stupid .... " in that same tone that you guys used for Ellen. Oh good times. Wish we all lived closer!
Amy... what a great post! Thank you for your kind words towards my little sister, and for sharing your memories of her! She's a keeper for sure!!
Post a Comment