Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Oct 6, 2009

Do You Hate Your Neighbor?

Our pastor shared a video in our Sunday School class a couple of weeks ago, and it affected me in a big way. Mind if I share it with you?

Some of you may have heard of Penn and Teller.

They are magicians, famous for revealing the "secrets" of magic in their shows. They do tricks, then show you how it's done. Very popular. Seen on a lot of late night TV shows, etc.

They are also extremely vulgar, gruesome, and avid atheists. Please know that neither I {nor my pastor} are condoning or approving of them, nor am I suggesting that you watch any of their shows or You Tube videos. But someone showed this one in particular to my pastor, who then showed it to us, and I urge you -- watch this. Watch it all the way through. It doesn't contain any objectionable content. Just a very powerful message for believers. From an unbeliever.



Penn.

A professed atheist.

Anti-God to the fullest.

He has got it ALL WRONG when it comes to God, heaven and hell, and his eternal destiny.

But when it comes to witnessing he nailed it.

In fact, I'm sad to say this, but he's got it more right than a lot of Christians {myself included}.

How much do you have to hate somebody to NOT proselityze? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and NOT tell them that? I mean, if I believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that a truck was coming at you and you didn't believe it, but that truck was bearing down on you, there's a certain point that I tackle you. And this is MORE important than that."

Think about that the next time you're scared to share the gospel with someone for fear of offending them. Or making things "awkward". Or being ridiculed.

How much do you really love your neighbor? Or, in Penn's words, how much do you hate them?

Photobucket

9 comments:

A Fist Full of Dandelions said...

Wow! I'd never thought of it like that!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Great video.....super super convicting. super.

une autre mère said...

Thanks for sharing this. Chad had told me about this video and I've been wanting to see it. VERY powerful!

Michelle said...

David showed this to our Sunday School class months ago....very convicting.

Joel said...

I posted a link to this on my blog - I hope that's ok! It was very challenging to read this - Thanks Ames!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That man planted a seed....I know that Penn said "I know there is no God" but he also said "this was a good man" multiple times...what a glorious work God can do in this man's life!! The wheels of change have already started.....

xo Amy Lackey

Sarah said...

Makes me think of this:

Matthew 5:16
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

That man's light so shined...and God was glorified...

Thanks, Amy for taking something that wasn't INTENDED to be used of God...and using it for the glory of God.

VERY thought provoking...and so like God to use an "athiest" to challenge Christians to be bolder witnesses...

I think I was more impacted by the "good man" than by Penn...I wonder if the man knows how far his testimony has reached. Guess that's what happens when you witness to someone famous and outspoken!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this Amy. What an awesome testimony from the mouth of an atheist. I especially liked his truck analogy. Very astute.

Jamie said...

Hmmm...this really made me think. I'm so guilty of not sharing because I don't want to bother someone. But in reality if I cared, more than I care about myself, I'd share. It is news that needs to be shared!

 
Images by Freepik