Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Nov 3, 2009

The Silver Lining

Wow. I haven't blogged -- I mean really blogged -- in what feels like FOR.EV.ER. You'll have to forgive me if I'm a little bit rusty :)

In case you're wondering {though I doubt you are}, we did end up having to get a new computer. We got a call from the Geek Squad on Saturday letting us know that our poor stupid annoying ridiculously unreliable little laptop had finally given up the ghost for good. Evidently there are limits as to how many times you can perform surgery on a motherboard and be successful.

That was the bad news.

The good news was that WE GOT A NEW COMPUTER!! And it was {almost} free! We got store credit to purchase a new laptop -- and we actually got a little bit of an upgrade! And since I know you're wondering -- no, we did not get a Mac.

I know, I know! Lecture if you will, but we simply don't have 500 extra smackeroos laying around the house to put towards a computer that we shouldn't have had to buy anyway. However, we DID totally give HP the cold shoulder {my mama didn't raise no dummy} and went with a Sony instead.

If it breaks down in a year and a half, feel free to say I told you so.

Anyway, I do have to say that being forced to take an "Internet fast" for a couple of weeks wasn't all bad. In fact, in a lot of ways it was really really good for me.

I had a lot of time to reflect on ways that technology -- particularly the Internet and even more specifically blogging -- have affected me, and I came to the conclusion that {brace yourselves profound thought here} there's a little bit of good and a little bit of bad. I KNOW. Deep ;)

For example, through the Internet I can be...
  • Inspired -- ladies like Sarah give me fresh ideas on decorating; sites like One Pretty Thing get my creative juices flowing and give me projects I can steal borrow and make my own; Crystal is a wellspring of information both saving and making money from home

  • Encouraged -- I love reading other "mommy bloggers" -- ladies who are in the trenches with me, who get what I'm going through on a day to day basis. Or maybe it's spiritual encouragement from gals like Rachel, or Sarah, or Andrea.

  • Humored -- {ok so I can't think of a better word -- give me a break, it's been 2 weeks :)} Big Mama, Boo Mama, and Mama Belle {hmmm...sensing a trend with the word "Mama" here} provide a little comic relief in my day.
And there are so many other good things -- keeping up with old friends and making new ones. Those are all really good things.

But there are also a whole host of bad things that can come along with it:
  • Jealousy and discontentment {"Her house is beautiful", "They have so much more money than we do", "She's so pretty", "I love her blog design", "I wish I could be that crafty" "Her pictures don't look like they were taken by a two year old" etc, etc etc}

  • Distraction {"I just need to do this one more thing" Click. Click. Click. "Wait, where did that hour just go?"}

  • Laziness

  • Pride
Just like any hobby, blogging/Facebook/surfing the Internet needs to have it's proper place in my list of priorities -- and if I'm being honest with myself, I think in the past couple of months I had let it slip up to occupy the top spot. Maybe God was trying to teach me a lesson -- I mean, frying a few motherboards is hardly beyond His capabilities ;)

At any rate, I'm thankful to have a computer back for all those good reasons I listed above. And if I sense myself losing the battle with some of those bad things? I'll step away again.

Now, off to try to finish playing catch up with all my favorite blogs!

P.S. If you want a really good read on going without your computer for a week click here. I could have pretty much copied and pasted her thoughts -- I especially like her analogy of the slot machine -- go read it and I think you'll agree.

Toodles!
Photobucket

6 comments:

beccarankin said...

I'm glad you found me. Always fun to find a fellow blogger. I enjoyed reading your blog. Maybe I can have you over sometime and you can show me all the ins and outs of it. I've written stuff, but have no idea how to do all the links and fancy background changes. :-)

Michelle said...

great post amy! a great reminder too!!
the jealousy and discontentment get me every.single.time {sigh} well, the distraction too! Who knew an hour or two could go by SO stinkin' fast.

This Heavenly Life said...

So full of truth Amy. I suspect my internet time is taking away from other things I should be prioritizing right now. Sleep, for one :) But it's good to hear your voice -- even if it IS prodding me into better habits ;)

We have a sony laptop, and so far, so good. Hope you like it! And I hope its motherboard is less needy.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I can so relate to all of this. SO much good - potential for alot of bad too. Sometimes it is hard to have my priorities right and use discretion on my time.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Amy's back!!! I missed you, girl!

Thanks for your sweet comments. You're awesome!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the pros/cons of online time. There is good and bad, and it can be a chore trying to stay on the good side sometimes. :)

(And I won't lecture you about not getting a Mac. But since you estimate a year and a half, I'd start a monthly Mac-fund to build up those extra 500 smackeroos. And just think of all the money you'll save when you won't have to buy another computer for like 5-6 years once you get the Mac!)

H-Mama said...

So true, Amy. It has it's pros and cons for sure.

 
Images by Freepik