Go·ing na·tive (gō′iŋg nāt′iv)
To adopt the lifestyle or outlook of local inhabitants, especially when dwelling in a colonial region
Up until last year, if you would have asked me where I’m from, I probably would have told you Kansas. It’s where I was born and, with the exception of a brief stint in Pennsylvania, where I was raised.
Never mind the fact that I haven’t lived there for more than a couple of months at a time since the year 2002. Never mind the fact that I’ve been married and living in Iowa since the year 2005. I’m not from Iowa, I just live here. Makes perfect sense, right? ;)
But let’s be real – we’ve got a baby, a house, and a great church family, not to mention at least one set of grandparents living nearby. Unless God changes our plans, we’re putting down some serious roots in the good ol’ Iowa soil.
So when one of Dave’s co-workers told him it was high time he picked an Iowa sports team to root for, he was all for it. After doing a little research and receiving some arm twisting gentle pressure from some friends of ours, Dave chose the Iowa Hawkeyes, and to make things interesting, he even started a blog about it.
{Which you should totally visit, because he’s an awesome writer}
{And he’s also super hot}
{In my humble, completely unbiased opinion :) }
We were told that in order to truly capture the magic that is Hawkeye football, we needed to take in at least one game at Kinnick stadium.
So a couple of Saturdays ago, we packed up and headed out at the crack of dawn, {and I do mean the crack of dawn} met up with some friends, and car pooled to Iowa City to take in a live game, Iowa versus the Minnesota Gophers.
I have to admit, I was just a smidge nervous because I knew I’d be spending the day surrounded by some diehard Hawkeye fans and I…knew basically nothing. I didn’t want to look stupid.
But you know what? I had nothing to worry about because it……
……………………….was………………………
………..so…………
………..much……….
……..FUN!!!!!!!!!!
We tailgated {minus the alcohol}.
We made fun of the all the drunk people {and I was worried about looking stupid…pshh}
We jumped up and down and high-fived perfect strangers when the Hawkeyes scored a touchdown.
We made fun of the male cheerleaders.
We sang the fight song.
We made fun of the way Minnesohtans talk (sorry Beck :)
We ate stadium food {the more it costs, the better it tastes}
We went down on the field after the game.
We got to spend some quality time with good friends that we don’t see nearly often enough.
And we took pictures. Lotsa, lotsa pictures. Here are some of my faves:
The view from our seats
Down on the field Me and Katie
So it’s official.
We’re Iowans.
Go Hawkeyes!




11 comments:
ahhh yeah :)
And I have to say.....it was about an hour BEFORE the crack of dawn. And maybe two hours for you guys :P
Have I commented before? I'm not sure. But, you are on my google reader.
I didn't know you are from Iowa. We are only an hour from Iowa City (we are in the Quad Cities). Small world. =)
Cute pictures! Go Hawks! (Glad you're an official Iowan now) :)
YEAH FOR HAWKEYE FANS!!!
The picture of you and Dave is VERY cute. (I wrote the same thing on his blog.) :)
Megan, I'm sure Dave appreciated the comment :)
Awww, you are so cute! What fun!
Hawkeye football is so much fun! Especially this year... but good luck with basketball season!
Ooh, I love the football pics and I love that you are football fans! Go Hawkeyes!
oh how fun! i had no clue that you and katie know each other!!
looks like y'all had a great time!!
Ok, Miss Kansas? I think we may have one more little link...if your sister-in-law or cousin-in-law(??? there are so many Finchams!) is Kathleen...she introduced me to my husband! See how important your family is now!?!
Post a Comment