Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jan 15, 2010

Bon Appétit!

I’ve been wanting to watch the movie Julie and Julia for some time now and finally got around to it the other day  {Megan – you were right – I loved it!}

 

A few thoughts:

  • Blogs have come a long, long way since 2002. I can’t believe how primitive the original Julie/Julia Project looks!
  • I love Amy Adams. She’s just adorable. And after doing some research {and by “research” I mean “typing things into Google”} I suspect that she probably made the “movie-character-Julie-Powell” into someone a little more likable than the real Julie Powell {who, I was disappointed to learn, later cheated on her husband with an old high school friend of hers. At least that’s what Google tells me. And I never question the validity of the things I learn on Google ;)
  • Meryl Streep is amazing -- I mean seriously amazing -- as Julia Childs. Sometimes I had to remind myself that it wasn’t actually Julia. She’s that good. She should win some sort of award for that. An Emmy or a Grammy or something like that ;) 
  • Kudos to Le Creuset for some excellent product placement – now I want one of these:


    You know, for all the French cooking I do :)
  • And I’d also love to cook some recipes out of this:
    Mastering the Art of French Cooking (2 Volume Set)
    But let’s be real. I don’t have that kind of time. Or concentration. Or cooking skills, for that matter.
  • Favorite quote: “I could write a blog! I have thoughts!”
  • Second favorite quote:
    Julia: Shouldn’t I find something to do?
    Julia’s Husband: What is it that you really like to do?
    Julia: Eat!!

    Woman after my own heart :)

Seriously, though. Really cute movie! And it DID inspire me to cook…maybe not beef bourguignon. But definitely something more than Hamburger Helper.

Anyone else see this movie? What did you think?

12 comments:

Alicia Lenoir said...

yes Amy I saw the movie and was inspired to cook more than something simple. I think I like to bake more than cook. I love Amy Adams as well and I learned some new things from the movie although it left me wanting to see if there was a book that the movie was based off of to see what had to be left out. Julia child had an interesting life.

Unknown said...

I, too, really liked it, of course since I recommended it.

Streep did an amazing job!

I often find myself thinking, in the middle of cooking, this is "American food" - nothing like the "French food" Julia said was so much better. But I think I just want to keep eating and cooking American food... :)

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie with my sisters just a couple of days before I went into labor (not sure what that has to do anything...) and LOVED IT!!!

Seriously, Meryl Streep was unreal, and I, too, had to remind myself that Julia Child wasn't really in the movie.

Didn't it make you want to cook so much, too? And I swear, even after eating an entire bucket of popcorn, I left that movie starving!

H-Mama said...

cute post about a cute movie. ;)

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

I haven't seen it yet! Did you get Dave to watch it w/ you??

Katie Casey said...

Yes, we saw it in theaters at the new "Cinema Suites" at the AMC 30 in Olathe - where you have big comfy leather recliners AND you can order dinner! It was the perfect movie to enjoy in that setting (eating and watching a movie about eating!).

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. I did, however, read the book and HATED it. The real Julie Powell is probably the most unlikeable person I've ever read about. I am interested to see how Amy Adams "niced" her up (I really like Amy Adams too).

I actually picked up MtAoFC in Sam's the other day and stared and stared and debated buying it. And then it was like, really? You're REALLY going to cook those recipes. No, you're not, then you will have wasted $30. So I didn't get it.

But the Le Creuset... now I would not object if someone sent one of those my way... :)

Anonymous said...

LOVED IT!!!!

I asked for a Dutch oven for Christmas and bless my Grandpa's heart he thought that I meant a cast iron one for camping. The Le Creuset is a little more pricey but I am saving for it.

Lisa said...

Excellent! I just got Julie and Julia from the library for this weekend. That's right, we get most of our movies from the library...because we're just that dorky :)

Q, La, and Gooner said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I want too! I love Streep! I also love to cook and bake and lalala. I think I would enjoy this film. I'm always bummed when I bing or google and find out something ridiculous that changes a thought/feeling that I desperately want to believe in!

peter marie said...

I absolutely loved it! I think it's one I could buy and watch over and over. It was such a cute story, but I didn't realize the actual character is such a dud. That's not very fun, but at least the movie is cute! :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

My Dave and I just watched this two nights ago. It was so fun! I loved how "quirky" both J's were. :) Julie's meltdowns were hilarious! :) And of course the whole bloggy thing... Very relatable! :)

 
Images by Freepik