Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jan 19, 2010

How ‘Bout Some New Year’s Resolutions?

Yes, I know it’s January 19th. And yes I know everyone else posted their New Year’s Resolutions, like, at the beginning of the New Year. I just am a lazy procrastinator like to be fashionably late.

Quite honestly, I know you probably don’t care all that much about my goals for the year. But I’m not posting them for you as much as I’m posting them for me. To keep me accountable.

So without further ado, here are some of my goals for 2010:

FINANCIALLY

  1. As a couple: save enough money to pay cash for our next vehicle.

    It’s very likely that sometime in the next couple of years we are going to need a bigger car. Dare I say it? Maybe even a mini-van. *Shudder*

  2. Personally: Take weekly grocery budget from $80.00 to $50.00. I’ve actually already got a great start on this thanks to Crystal’s site, but I’ve still got a ways to go.

    My plan of action:
    -- use the “envelope system” and only pay cash for groceries
    -- deposit any leftover money into our “new vehicle” savings account

SPIRITUALLY

  1. Be more consistent with my quiet time. In the past, my devotions have been at whatever point in the day I could squeeze them in. This does not work well for me. I need a routine.

    My plan of action:
    -- wake up early. Ideal time is 5:30. So far real time has been more like 6:30. Baby steps.

  2. Prayer. Would it be right to say I’m not “good” at prayer? I don’t mean the actual act of praying – I know it doesn’t matter how eloquent you are {or aren’t}.

    I mean that I’m not “good” at the discipline aspect. At actually setting aside the time to do it and then keeping my mind from wandering to my “to do” list or whatever else is fighting for my attention.

    My friend Mandi put this quote on her blog and I think it pretty adequately describes me:

    "It's fun to talk about prayer and easy to think about prayer. But to actually put your feet - and heart - on the pathway to prayer, to make your desire to pray a reality, requires discipline."
    Elizabeth George

    I’m starting a new book that I’m really excited about which I hope will help:

    Praying God's Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds

PHYSICALLY

  1. Exercise at least 5 days a week. I’m doing surprisingly well with this one – I’ve only missed a total of 3 days since December 28th.

    My plan of action:
    --Let Jillian boss me around every weekday {except Wednesday}
    --On Wednesdays, focus on my abs with this DVD:Debbie Siebers' Slim & 6-Pack: Ab Trimming Routine
  2. Drink more water and less pop. Pretty self explanatory. Limiting myself to drinking pop only once a week.
  3. Try at least one new healthy recipe a month.
    This cookbook will help me out with that:
    Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good FoodThis one will NOT:
    The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
  4. Find and make a good recipe for whole wheat bread. I’m bound and determined to conquer my fear of yeast. Yeah, I said it. I am afraid of yeast. But that’s a whole different post.

I’ve got a list as long as my arm of other things I want to do, but this post is long enough – I’ll save those for another day. Aren’t you excited? :)

So what are some of your New Year’s Resolutions?

9 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

5:30?!?!? My lands...that seems a bit ridiculous ;)
And mini-vans aren't that bad....they really aren't :) I just keep telling myself that, hoping that magically an SUV would become more practical, knowing it will never happen :)

Alicia Lenoir said...

You have quite the list to accomplish this year. I am amazed that your grocery bill is so low. We switched to eating healthier and it is much more expensive, I pretty much have cut out mostly processed foods. I am trying to cut it down from what it was to start with to a smaller amount, because it is quite expensive. I hope you can accomplish those goals.

Mandi said...

All sounds good and attainable! you can do it! I'd love to chat with you about the paying cash thing... curious.

Lisa said...

I've been pop free since the beginning of January and drinking lots more water. It was hard at first, but I'm actually feeling healthier now. Of course, I still get some morning coffee at NV for my caffeine fix! Good luck, Amy!

Catholic Mutt said...

Watch out for Jillian! She's a mean one. :) I have a different DVD... it's a bunch of circuits and I have yet to attempt them all, let alone attempt them all at once. Good thing she can't see through the screen. She'd probably reach through it and make me cry. Good luck with your resolutions!

Jamie said...

I love your resolutions and I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. I really want to be waking up at 5 or 5:30 too, but right now it is more like 5:45 or 6.

Unknown said...

I love your resolutions so much! They are pretty much the same as mine. I just haven't started them...yet. There's always tomorrow, right?

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I can relate to aspiring to most of these too. You pretty much convicted me on the quiet time and prayer... Ughhhh I have really been wanting to do better with both.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh - and I have to add, I adore my mini van and yeast bread is super fun to make. :)

 
Images by Freepik