Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jan 7, 2010

In Case You Didn’t Eat Enough Junk Food During Christmas…

I sampled two new recipes over Christmas that were just too good not to pass on. They’re both super yummy, super easy, and super unhealthy – that’s how I roll :)

The first is from one of the world’s best bakers who also happens to be my sister-in-law, Sara. WARNING: this is extremely addicting.

Homemade Caramel Puff Corn

-1 (eight oz) bag puff corn {NOT regular popcorn – the kind with NO HULLS --I used Barrel O’ Fun brand}

  January 2010 011
-1 cup butter {not margarine}
-1/2 cup light corn syrup
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 cup brown sugar

  1. Mix first three ingredients in 2 quart saucepan on stove.

  2. Stir and melt until edges become bubbly.

  3. Add baking soda {this will make it foamy}.

  4. Pour over puff corn.

  5. Put in roaster pan {or spread on cookie sheets} and bake in a 250 degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

  6. Quick! Lick up any remaining caramel from the saucepan. You wouldn’t want all that butter and sugar to go to waste, would you?

    January 2010 013

*******

The second recipe is from my cousin-turned-professional-chef Brice. He brought these little gems to our family Christmas and when I asked him for the recipe I was sure it was going to be something super complicated. Turns out, it’s not! Three ingredients is all you’ll need to make:

Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies {a.k.a. Heart Attack on A Toothpick}

-1 package mini weiners {I used Hillshire Farms Little Smokies}
-1 (16 ounce) package bacon
-brown sugar

  1. Cut bacon into thirds.

  2. Wrap bacon around mini weiners and secure with toothpicks.

  3. Place mini weiners on baking sheet and sprinkle a little brown sugar on top of each {about 1/4 teaspoon per smokie}.
  4. Place on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, turning once.

    Want to take it to a potluck? Transfer them into a crock-pot and set it on low to keep them warm.

     January 2010 015

I’m not sure I could’ve taken a more unappetizing picture of these…they look {and taste} better in real life, I promise.

We took both of these snacks to a friend’s house to munch on while we watched Iowa trounce on play Georgia in the Orange Bowl Tuesday night.

Good snacks. Good game. Go Hawkeyes!

7 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

not to be gross......but mini weiners?!? I prefer little smokies ;)
And I like those smokie/bacon things....but I like the regular smokies just as much. So most the time I save myself the 'heart attack on a toothpick' ;)
Go Hawks!

Unknown said...

My mom made that caramel corn for the Iowa game! :)

Here's another easy, addictive recipe using the same popcorn:
melt almond bark and pour over the popcorn. SO good.

H-Mama said...

sounds like a quick version of my caramel corn. looks yummy. at least it doesn't use margarine, right? ;)

heart attack on a toothpick... priceless. ;)

Unknown said...

That looks yummy. I've never heard of that with corn pops. I think I'll try it.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh dear, HELP, that corn puff stuff is MY FAVORITE! So, so, so addicting. Lucky for me, I can never find the corn puffs anywhere, so I never make it. Whew, that stuff is awesome, though!

Michelle said...

first of all I can't stop laughing at Katie ;)

junk food...that's how i roll too girl! {although i am trying to do a little better}

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

That puff corn looks amazing!!!

 
Images by Freepik