Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jan 12, 2010

In Which I Eat Crow

See this picture?

Honeymoon6

This is my husband, Dave. I know. Wipe that drool off your keyboard. He’s a hottie ;)

This is Dave’s brother, Trey. He’s a nice looking guy, but he’s no Dave :)

Christmas 072

Ever since I have known these two, people have been getting them confused. We’ve had complete strangers walk up to Dave and start talking to him, only to realize that they’ve got the wrong brother. I’ve had people tell me how “uncanny” it is that they look so much alike.

I’ve never really understood it. I mean, sure they look similar – they are brothers, after all. But they’re not identical. I can easily tell the difference…

Or at least…I thought I could…*ahem*.

Let me paint a picture for you:

It’s Christmas Day. We’ve just finished indulging in a giant meal of turkey, stuffing, and all the works. The tryptophan has kicked in and I’m feeling sleepy. I get comfy in an armchair and settle in for a little snooze.

Some time passes. I open my eyes and see that everyone is headed out of the room. "Where are you going?” I ask Dave.

“We’re gonna play a card game,” he replies.

Sounds fun. I sleepily rise from the armchair and wander into the other room, where Dave is sitting with his back to me, a deck of cards in front of him.

The rest of the family is a few steps away, telling his grandparents good-bye. I reach out my arms and give Dave a bear hug from behind, hanging on his neck.

{Can you tell where this is going?}

“I’m so tired…” I say in a sleepy voice.

Silence.

Then a voice – a strange voice – says to me, “Uh…Amy?”

And that’s when it hits me.

This is not my husband’s voice!

THIS IS NOT MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!

To say that I was embarrassed would be A VAST UNDERSTATEMENT.

Mortified.

Horrified.

And poor Trey – traumatized.

Lucky for me, my husband and my sister-in-law have a fantastic sense of humor, or I’d have been sleeping in the doghouse for sure.

So. One of these is my husband.

Christmas 107

One of these is my brother-in-law.

Christmas 106

Go ahead. Get them confused. I will sympathize with you.

17 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

:) blog posts very rarely make me laugh outloud.....but I am very literally laughing out loud right now.
More of a chuckle, really :) I can see how that would be a problem....but oh my....it is funny :)

This Heavenly Life said...

Hah! This is on time I'm glad my husband is an only child :)

This Heavenly Life said...

That would be 'one' time :)

Amy said...

The definitely look a like with the chair pictures from behind. I am so embarrassed for you :) At least you didn't kiss him.
Laughing with you...

Blessings,
Amy

Anonymous said...

omgosh! funny to read about but I am sure that it was embarassing. :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

That.is.hilarious!!! :)

Thanks for making me smile today. :)

une autre mère said...

Too funny! But I can see how easily they could be confused!

I guess I'm lucky that my husband and his brothers look absolutely NOTHING alike!

Unknown said...

Things like this have happened to Lindy and I lots. I always feel bad telling people I'm not Lindy - I don't know why. Sometimes, I just try to play it out. :) I have never been upset that someone thought I was Lindy, despite people always fearing that.

peter marie said...

AH! That's so funny! I have the same issue with my husband and one of his brothers....I always have to be real careful when they're both around...

Karen said...

Too funny!! Love it! In your defense they look an aweful lot alike, especially when your not looking at them in the face!! The top one is Dave...I'm almost sure;)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Karen...YOU'RE RIGHT! Must be all those years of seeing the back of his head in chapel maybe? :)

And Megan, I can't even IMAGINE if Dave and Trey were twins. Actually, that would probably make it much more understandable...and I probably would've been more careful. Ethan's never made that mistake with you and Lindy, has he? Because that would be really funny :)

Gina said...

OK so funny.. I have to say though at least you only hugged him! My step dad once grabbed my backside in the kitchen thinking I was my mom!

H-Mama said...

(((giggling)))

Kelly said...

That is so funny!!! Thanks for the laugh today! :D

Lindy said...

SO funny! I do think they look a lot alike. Ethan has mistaken me for Megan over the phone when I've answered her phone on occasion (which was kinda of funny) but I can't think of a time when he's done that in person...am I right Meg?

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Oh my goodness! That is too funny! I can't even imagine the instant your heart stopped with realization! When I was teaching, one of the guy teachers mistook his mother-in-law for his wife and whopped/squeezed her bottom! There needs to be a book on this subject! I would certainly burn some extra calories giggling!

Michelle said...

oh goodness! that is so stinkin' funny!!

 
Images by Freepik