Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jan 22, 2010

Photo Booth Friday #20: “I Do It Myself”

We’re teaching Lily how to feed herself with a spoon and fork.

January 2009 009

It is an exercise in patience.

Currently trying to teach her that flinging food on the floor is not funny.

Mommy and Daddy telling you “No,” when you fling food on the floor?  Also not funny.

And laughing at Mommy and Daddy when they tell you not to fling food on the floor? Definitely NOT. FUNNY.

Any of you veteran parents have any tips for teaching self feeding skills? Enlighten me, please :)

8 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

You're a brave woman....we just started Hayden with a fork & spoon recently. And it's more a fork than spoon.
The spoon is a privilege ;) And mostly for things that he LOVES to eat so that he is motivated to use them and get it done.
So peaches, pears, banana....etc...mac n' cheese {yeah I'm a bad mom}.
Good luck! It is not a fun mess at.all.

Joel said...

She is so cute though - I understand how it would be hard not to laugh! :) Delaney has recently learned to make a spitting noise - but it's not good when she does that while eating peaches :)I've been splatted more than once

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Enlightening you: Keep a mop handy. Put newspaper under the highchair to catch all of the yuck that WILL be distributed. Keep a wash cloth handy. Repress your perfectionist "I like stuff clean" side... for now. It won't last forever. But as you go through this stage - it's gonna be messy!!!! It just will. :) And then some day she will get it. And you will grin. And you will move on to the next messy thing. :) Cause your a mom. And that's just the way it is. :)

H-Mama said...

This brings back memories. I remember using bowls that had suction cups on the bottom of them... that at least kept the food from flying onto the floor. I can't speak for the food. ;) A friend of mine with 5 kids used a shower curtain under the highchair for all her kids and loved it. This too shall pass, my friend. :)

Lisa said...

First of all -- Lily eats peas and I'm jealous. There are NO vegetables consumed by my daughter. I'm seriously envious!

We also went through a food flinging phase. And, we also had laughter at Mommy and Daddy saying no. Luckily it went away. We found ignoring it to be the best option, and it did stop. Like everyone else said, this too shall pass. But for now, it's just gonna be messy!

Michelle said...

i know it's not funny but i can't help but giggle {just a little} i agree put something under her high chair and just let her go at it. I think to begin with the girls ate more with their hands than the spoon. enjoy this time! before you know it she will be 11 years old, doing everything on her own, can you tell i'm just a little sad about the girls growing up

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I know my parenting in this area is not probably "correct"...we let our kids do "non-messy" food with a fork or spoon or their fingers, but when it came to things that were a little more messy, we still fed them. Yogurt, applesauce, pasta...spoon fed. They never squawked. That's just how it worked. Our kids don't seem to be stunted in the eating area and are in fact pretty neat eaters. I know it's not a popular take on this, but for our sanity, that's how we did it. I don't regret it! Kids are rushed to be able to do everything--we loved zooming the airplane in the hanger!

This Heavenly Life said...

We like forks to eat with, because poking seems simpler than scooping for the little ones. Not for yogurt and applesauce -- just anything...pokable.

Also, if she starts tossing it down, you could just take her food away. Either she's not interested in eating and won't care that she's done, or she's just being mischeivous and will learn a lesson about what happens when she throws food. I'm usually too chicken to actually follow through with that - what if she gets too hungry?! - but the few times I've done it have seemed successful. For awhile :)

 
Images by Freepik