I don’t know about you, but we do our best not to encourage picky eating at our house. And really, it hasn’t been too much of an issue for us – until lately.
Lately, Lily has been turning up her nose at seemingly everything we offer her – even foods she normally loves!
Case in point, the other day I gave her some cut up grapes for dessert. She loves grapes. Just one day earlier she had devoured them when I gave them to her for breakfast.
But not today. Today she whined and cried. She shook her head no and signed “please” while pointing towards the cabinet with the candy bowl. Clearly grapes were not her idea of a delicious dessert.
But I was not about to give in. She could eat the grapes, or lunch would be over. I explained that to her and walked away to give her a chance to, “Surrender with dignity” {all you Babywise moms should know what I’m talking about here}
I washed a few dishes and when I came back over to the high chair, her plate was halfway empty and she was happy and smiling. Success!
Except…wait…if she was eating the grapes, shouldn’t she be chewing? Something wasn’t right…
Upon further investigation, this is what I discovered:
The grapes were disappearing…but not to her tummy like I had thought. No, my shrewd little baby girl had figured out a way to “work the system”.
“I’ll hide the grapes in the pocket of my bib! Brilliant!”
She’s not even two yet. If this is the kind of mischief she’s cooking up now, I have a feeling we are in for quite the ride.
It’s a good thing she’s so stinkin’ cute :)



13 comments:
that's hilarious! Dane discovered the pocket, he knows things hide in there, they hide in there like a delicious suprise. Like our dog he checkes every chance he gets to see what treat could be awaiting him.
Hahah! I swear, kids are SMART! Way smarter than we usually give them credit for!
little boogers, aren't they?! They are lucky to be so cute! I loved this! Be strong... I've caved once or twice without thinking (er, thinking she would DIE if I didn't give her something...so silly) and Ava remembers and tries to work it EVERY time now!
Welcome to the big leagues, kid :) Lauren does this all the time. The other day, she was gobbling up red pepper slices as fast as I could cut them. Today? They must be poisoned. Not gonna happen.
Just be glad Lily hasn't started throwing them!
That is so funny :) She sure is a cutie!!
We have that same bib and I LOVE it - especially for catching all of that food that I thought had disappeared into their tummies.
Just know.. you are not alone. Addie decides every day that there is a new food she no longer likes. I tell her, "Yes, you do like it. You begged for it just last week. And you will eat it." Case. closed. A little easier reasoning with a 4-year old than a 1-year old though... Good luck! And yes, the cuteness does really help!
She's smart. And, you can't even get mad at that cute little face.
Did she see Dave doing the same thing? Is that where she learned her cute little trick? :)
Haha! But you're right, how can you get mad at that cute little face? :)
you're right... you don't have to teach that stuff. mine have been known to attempt to hide theirs still. but you can't stay mad when they show those smiley, pearly whites. ;)
Hilarious!! :) I agree - you are in for quite a ride mama!! :)
She is brilliant! And super cute!
haha! work the system!
Post a Comment