Let’s talk about paint, shall we?
When we first moved into our house , all of the walls were painted a lovely beige-ish/light tan color, which was a relief to us, because we didn’t really relish the idea of repainting the entire house all at once. We thought, “We can take it slow, do one room at a time.”
Well.
It’s been a year.
The walls are still a lovely light tan/beige-ish color. All of them.
It’s time to start painting.
There’s just one problem – I am ridiculously indecisive when it comes to paint colors. I mean, I ooh and ahh when I see people who paint pretty colors on their walls and I have selected endless amounts of paint chips from the hardware store and taped them to my wall, but when it comes right down to it, I almost always chicken out and think, “How ‘bout we just go with a nice shade of tan?”
Which I think is ok, in some rooms – like possibly our living/dining room -- but I REALLY, REALLY want to be adventurous and spice things up in some of the other areas of our house.
For whatever reason, I’ve been thinking a lot about redecorating our bedroom – even though it’s the one room in our house that hardly anyone ever sees, I really want it to be a sanctuary, corny as that sounds. So here’s my vision for the bedroom – feel free to weigh in on your opinion.
So I saw this bedspread at Pottery Barn a couple of weeks ago and just fell in love with it for it’s simplicity.
Simple. Elegant. And there’s so much versatility. You can add a pop of color with pillows and…*gulp* PAINT!
But I didn’t have $250 to spend on a new bedspread. Then I was browsing at Target and saw this:
An almost identical bedspread for a fraction of the price. I heart Target.
So the wheels really started turning after that. I thought it would look good to accent with a combination of greens and browns. I like some of these pillows, thought I’m not married to any of them.
And that brings us back to our original subject: paint.
If I were to decorate our room in this vein, what sort of paint colors would you suggest? Brown? Green? Maybe brown with a green accent wall? Or green with a brown accent wall?
I have to be honest – I get heart palpitations at the thought of painting our bedroom wall green. I mean, green seems like such a bold color…WHAT IF IT DOESN’T LOOK GOOD?
I know. I have issues.
So help a sister out. Be my personal decorator and tell me what you think. Oh, but do be kind, please. I’m an amateur – and I know it :)




18 comments:
I love the bedding. And,I love green walls. =) Just pick a green carefully. I've painted our bathroom a pretty bold shade of green, and I love it. It's one of my favorite rooms. =) If you wanna see it for comparison, you can check it out on our blog. Just click on the bathroom tag.
Good luck!
Green is hard.......really hard.
I'd go all brown walls....definitely love the pillows & bedding.
THEN if you want a little ways down the road, you can add the green accent wall.
Walmart has a KILZ line of paint and the Hoot Owl brown.....is a lovely LOVELY brown color. Not too dark.
I love the idea of an accent wall! We have a room that is light brown with a Red accent wall! Very bold and also, sometimes hard to decorate or even redecorate without repainting! But go for it! Be BOLD! Why not? It's just paint, you can do one wall and if you don't like it then just repaint! I know it's time and money but if you do like it, it's amazing and it's a sanctuary! It's wonderful!
There are soo many ways to add color- window treatments, throw pillows, wall art etc... if you wanted to go safe and then just accent with color that's great too! An accent wall is always safe to add color and is easier to repaint later when you are ready for a change.Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures!
I'm terribly indecisive about paint colors too. As such, we have stark raving mad (er, I mean white) walls. I'm hoping to garner courage from your paint adventure.
And my two cents are these: Wouldn't dark brown make a room seem awfully dark and small? I think you could successfully do a gorgeous green with lots of brown accents. Dark brown picture frames. Dark brown curtains. Some brown pillows with green things on them (like the middle one above.)
Whatever happens, you have my full attention. I'm looking for inspiration, woman!
Do 3 walls brown and one Green... looks nice and spices it up without totally "Going green". :) You go girl... as I sit here still looking at my bone white walls!
OOohhh Fun! Actually as I was reading this and saw that amazing Pottery Barn bedding, I thought, hey I just saw something similar at Target...and bam! you beat me to it.
I think a chocolate milk brown would be beautiful. Then if you use some green accent pillows, buy a bunch of miss matched frames at Goodwill, spray paint them the same green and put a cool collage up on the beautiful brown wall. Then you're adding a fun color, but it's not scary because you can always change the photos or pictures you use and re-paint them in the future. Man, I hope my idea doesn't sound too pushy. :)
That's exactly why I'm redoing our bedroom too...I want it to be a place that it peaceful and relaxing (and pretty!)when we finally lay down at the end of a long day.
FYI...I was at the Urbandale Target this morning and there are gobs and gobs of pillows for 30% off right now. Probably at the other ones too, but they just seemed to have a ton!
Oh man... talk about paint and my heart starts skipping a beat! I LOVE it! We're on our 2nd house and have painted EVERY SINGLE ROOM in BOTH houses! including several closets. And never used white or cream (except for trim). I'm pretty sure that paint makes world go round... or at least it helps it.
I personally love green walls. I would do all green walls if I were you. But if you're no too sure about so much color at once, then I'll have to copy peter marie and say do a medium shade of brown (not too dark, not too light) and do green for curtains and accents.
Above all, just HAVE FUN WITH IT! You can always repaint!
I loovve those pillows!! And I am a big fan of brown paint, I can't wait to pick out paint colors!!
When I saw your bedspread, I immediately pictured it in a sky-blue room. But then seeing the browns and greens, I think that brown with a sky-blue accent wall and then a few sky-blue accessories in with the browns and greens.
And maybe I'm off my rocker, but in my head, those three colors look really great together.
Or, you could make a padded headboard in your accent color - maybe less intimidating than painting one wall a different color? Martha Stewart did one on her show recently - looks pretty easy. :-)
I'm with Peter Marie...if I could choose any house to live in, it would be hers! She's amazing with colors, accent colors, etc! Brown would be so lovely with greens as accents!
Have fun!!!
Funny you posted this.......come over to my blog and see what I posted!!!
I have a color going in my kitchen you may like it is called "oat straw" from behr. You could always paint the bedroom a color then use the green as an accent wall??? I am trying to decide on colors as well.
But for A whole house!!! (new build)
I love the green in your pillow choices.....I would go for it if I were you!!!! You can always paint over it!!!!
~Amy D
As you know, we did both brown and green in our house (brown living room, green bathroom). I personally think you should go with brown walls and accent with green window treatments, pillows, etc. But don't go too dark with the brown. I think if I had to do it again, I'd go a shade lighter with ours. I still have our paint chips if you want to check them out. Good luck!
You could always do what we did! We did 3 walls a light/medium beige and one a chocolate color... Then we did the curtains a silverish blue and the bedskirt silverish blue.. So our accents are the fun color so that we can change out!
BTW... New blog admiree here!
My house is FULL of color - I love it! My favor color in the house is one I just did this summer. It's an old-fashioned dusty teal. LOVE IT. I realize it isn't green but I think it is absolutely beautiful. :)
My bedroom is chocolate brown. I'd have to say I'd go with this over green, not because I don't like green. I LOVE green. But, if you are like me, you don't really like to paint, but you like to change it up. With chocolate brown you can do so many accent colors. You can go with green one year, orange the next, throw in a blue, or a pink, or.... the list is endless. I even had a black accent pillow at one time and it looked great.
love that bedspread!! i have a white quilt on ours and i'm surprised that it is still white!
i'm thinking maybe a blue color? maybe about the color of your background? i'm not sure. i can never make up my mind either. and normally, everything i try to throw together doesn't really "go together" so maybe you should just skip over my comment! haha
BEAUTIFUL ideas!! You have great taste.
Me - I LOVE color. And MAYBE a teeny bit too much... :) Check out my blog post today. I posted pictures of our room and it is full of color! :)
I'm excited to see what you do! Of course you'll take pictures right?? Cause you kind of have to now! :)
I just looked up that bedspread but it doesn't come in a king! *pouts*
You know, I was always anti-green paint for the longest time. And then I went to my BFF's new house and they had painted their living room in the dark, sage-y color (it was something by Benjamin Moore - like that helps a whole lot). And so I went home and copied her. I painted our living room green, only I did a minty sage, and I loved every. single. inch. of it.
We're in an apartment right now, but you better believe as soon as we get back to a place where I have control over the wall color, I'm doing another room green.
I say go buy one of those mini tester cans and do a test area to see if you like it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
You have excellent taste, BTW!
Post a Comment