Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Mar 29, 2010

Mmmmm….

If I had to pick one word or phrase to describe our weekend, I think that’s what it would be.

Saturday was Dave’s birthday. He had to work in the morning {bummer} but I wanted to get his day off to a great start, so I made up a batch of Pioneer Woman’s Cinnamon Rolls.

Mmmmm…..

March 2010 003

I’ve never made homemade cinnamon rolls before so I was a little nervous, but there was no reason to be. You just can’t go wrong with P-Dub. There’s no need for me to type the recipe out – just click on that link above and Ree will tell you everything you need to know.

I’m willing to bet that just one of those rolls probably completely satisfied my caloric intake for the day, but we didn’t stop there.

Oh, no.

Because what birthday would be complete without a birthday feast?

First on the menu: steak. But not just any steak. This was steak made with our absolute 100% FAVORITE marinade. It’s a recipe Dave found online a few years ago though he can’t remember where, so I’ve officially dubbed it “Dave’s Steak Marinade”.

{If it belongs to you, feel free to take credit – it’s superb}

Dave’s Steak Marinade

-4 T butter or olive oil
-2 cloves fresh mashed garlic
-4 T soy sauce
-4 T Worcestershire sauce
-juice of one lemon (you can substitute a couple tablespoons of lemon juice too)

**Melt butter or oil on medium low heat in skillet. Add garlic and simmer a few minutes. Turn off heat. Add soy and Worcestershire sauce. Add lemon juice. Marinate the steak at least one hour – it gets better the longer you let it sit.

Combine that with this recipe for grilled asparagus and what you have is a main dish worthy of a great big

Mmmmm…..

March 2010 002

But no steak dinner could ever be complete without some potatoes, right? And I’ve got an artery clogging delicious recipe for Twice Baked Potato Casserole that fit the bill.

Twice Baked Potato Casserole
{adapted from this recipe}

-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1 lb. bacon, cooked and drained (or for a quicker alternative, use real bacon pieces—NOT bacon bits but you find them in the same aisle)
-3 cups sour cream
-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
-2 cups shredded cheddar
-2 green onions, chopped

**Boil potatoes until soft. Mash in pan. Add salt, pepper, sour cream, 1 cup of each of the cheeses, and bacon and stir until well combined. Spread in 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle onions on top and serve!

Say it with me now….

Mmmmmm…..

March 2010 004

And last but certainly not least, we needed a lil’ somethin’ to sweeten our tastebuds. I turned to one of my all time favorite spring/summer dessert recipes – Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips.

Mmmmm…..

March 2010 001

This is such a light and refreshing dessert – the perfect end to a delicious meal!

You should try at least one of these recipes this summer. Trust me. Your tastebuds will thank you. {Your hips may not.}

Oh, and to my hubby – thanks for giving us a reason to celebrate this weekend.  I’m so glad you were born – I don’t know what I’d do without you! I love you!

Alrighty, that’s all for today. Those leftovers aren’t going to eat themselves, now are they? :)

12 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Ugh. I love everything you mentioned here (with the sad exception of asparagus) and am hungry RIGHT after I finished lunch.

PERFECT birthday menu!

une autre mère said...

Yum! I will be trying ALL of these recipes! I'm especially excited about the marinade recipe because I just saw some steaks in my freezer and thought I should find a good marinade to put on them. Thanks for solving that!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

uh...yum-o :) super yum. I love asparagus. I doubt it would be on Jesse's birthday menu request...but it'd definitely be on mine!

peter marie said...

Wow...that all looks amazing!! What a good way to spoil your husband.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Oh my!!! You know how to celebrate! Yum! I am a sucker for cinnamon rolls! Those look delicious!
Have fun with those leftovers, too!

Anonymous said...

Do you deliver? Cause, I am pretty sure all those dishes look absolutely amazing!!!!

Hey whatever happened to painting your room? Pick a color or paint yet?

Summer said...

Looks delish!!

I've made fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips for a few years; different recipe but similar. They are so yummy.
And I made cinnabon cinnamon rolls that were gone in a day- don't they totally beat store bought or from a can?!

BTW, I'm having a giveaway if you want to enter, it ends Thursday.

Susan Berlien said...

Yea...mmmmmm for sure. Especially the cin rolls :) Can you come to my house!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Everything looks sooo good!!

Unknown said...

Food is the way to a man's heart. :)

I'm going to try ALL those recipes, even the asparagus which I am not fond of. Yours looks good! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Jill said...

Thanks to your inspiration (which I found thanks to Sarah at This Heavenly Life) both the Twice Baked Potato Casserole and Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls were part of our Easter weekend menu. Between such wonderful food and the celebration of the resurrection, I'm not sure a weekend could get better!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Jill -- Yay! I'm so glad to be your inspiration for some yummy food -- that doesn't happen to me very often :) I'm glad you enjoyed the recipes!

 
Images by Freepik