Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Apr 22, 2010

My House, Also Known As “The Place With All the Unfinished Projects”

I don’t know if I’m the only one whose like this but I have a tendency to look at my house and see only the “imperfections” or things I want to change.

We have a nice house and it’s fine – really, fine – just the way it is. It’s beautiful…but I don’t quite feel like it reflects us just yet.

I think there’s at least one thing in every room that I’m not quite crazy about. At least one thing in every room that, given the time, creativity, and money, I hope to change. And sometimes when I look at our house that’s all I see!

It’s not the living room, it’s “the room with the unfinished fireplace” {although we are sooo close to being done with it!}

It’s not the family room, it’s “the room with all the mismatched furniture” or “the room where all the toys exploded”

It’s not the dining room, it’s “the room with the giant brass chandelier”

I like to decorate. I like the satisfaction of doing things myself. I get almost giddy when I’m able to save money AND pull together the look I’m going for all at the same time.

And it’s a good thing, too, because the truth is, this is the way we have to do it. We don’t have the kind of budget that will allow us to make all the changes, all at one time.

And I’m ok with that, I really am. It’s just…I’m so impatient!

I’ve told Dave numerous times since we moved in, “I wish I could just wave my magic wand and make everything the way I want it to be.”

But I can’t, and truthfully, I know that in the long run, it’s good for me. This isn’t the only area of my life where I struggle with being patient and I think God can teach me valuable lessons even in something as insignificant as decorating my home.

So. If you’ll just excuse me now, I need to go do some cleaning in “the room with the ugly shower door” {also known as, our bathroom} :)

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I hear ya on the house stuff. I wish I could hire a professional for the new house, so I won't have to use my own brain power to think up ways to fix what i don't like.
In answer to your other questions I think the tree in our yard is a Magnolia not 100% sure. And I am due September 27th. So we are really close again this time!

peter marie said...

I have all those same feelings! I have a major problem with unfinished projects and as much as I love hand-me-downs or thrift finds, I'd love to buy all new stuff because I liked it and not just because it was cheap. But then when I really think about it and I'd never want to spend that much money on our house, but it is fun to dream. :)

H-Mama said...

So true! Let me know if you find that magic wand. ;)

Lisa said...

Completely agree!!! I'd love to hire an interior decorator/painting crew (with some money grown on the tree in our front yard, I suppose) and just take care of the whole thing. That magic wand sounds like a great idea...

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I recommend Peter Marie! :) Almost every room in our house has a touch of her art!
Thankfully my "unfinished project room" has a door that is *shut* most all of the time! ug!

mommy baum said...

Good luck with your projects! We are just venturing into home-ownership next month and I am SOOO excited to finally have projects to work on! I'll come and seek advice as soon as I feel overwhelmed with all of them ;) lol

Mandi said...

I...hear...you!
Right now I have half a painted living room, half a painted porch, color swatches on the bathroom walls and that embaressingly HUGE mirror in the dining room.
But it is fun and challenging!

 
Images by Freepik