Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

May 6, 2010

The Dictionary According to Lily

I think one of my favorite things about the age Lily is right now is watching her learn to talk. She’s in that stage where she tries to repeat practically everything you say, and her interpretations of words are sometimes hilarious.

I’m around her so much I can pretty much always understand what she’s trying to communicate, but for those who don’t see her as often, some translation is usually required.

So here you have it,

The Dictionary According to Lily:

Bink yoo: Thank you

Gook: Book or Brooke {use context}

Cheese-us: Jesus

Two: Any number
For example, when counting she does not say “One, two, three…” but instead, “Two, two, two…” and so on and so forth

A: any letter
Except for when she’s singing the ABC song. Then it’s, “A, E, A, E, A, E, A….”

 Doddy: Some combination of “doggy” and “daddy” {Again, use context}

Tinky: Stinky.
Usually uttered during the changing of her poopy diapers and followed by giggles. I guess poop is universally funny :)

Papa: Grandpa

Nommy: Grandma
We still haven’t quite figured out how she came up with that.

Ya-ya’s: Cheerios
Again – not sure where that came from.

Cack-uh: Cracker – the word she uses for pretty much any snack {except for her “ya-ya’s” of course}

Pee-ta: Pizza
Her favorite food, next to fruit of course.

Bob-bee: Strawberry

Uh-butt: Elisabeth {her aunt}
I think this is the one that cracks us up the most :) We’re so sorry Elisabeth! Your name is just hard for little lips to say!

One of her favorite activities is to make pretend phone calls. It’s pretty clear that she’s imitating me when she does this, and it never fails to make me smile:

“Ell-woah? {Hello} Oh! Hi! Yeah. Yeah. Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Okay! {indistinct baby babble} Yeah! Uh-huh! Okay! Bye!”

Kids really do say the darndest things, don’t they?

7 comments:

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Oh how sweet!! I love "Cheese-us"... :)

Mandy Lee said...

Too cute!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

One of my (many) all time favorite stages of my kidos was learning to talk as well! It is so fun and can be hil.ar.i.ous!! She's so darn cute Amy!

Kelly said...

Love those!!

beccarankin said...

So cute! Thanks for posting them!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

They definitely do.....Hayden calls a friend of mine, whose name is Maggie: Gahmee. Like he gets the M & the G mixed up. I almost hate to think of the day when he finally gets it right :(

peter marie said...

Cute!! And it just gets more more and more fun!

 
Images by Freepik