Back when Lily was a newborn and still a two-nap-a-day kinda girl, I used her nap times as opportunities to get all my housework done. As soon as I laid her down I start running around, cleaning, cooking, checking things off my lists. And I usually even had time to fit in a shower, my devotions, and some “blog time”.
But when she dropped that morning nap, I came to the harsh realization that no longer could I get EVERYTHING done while she was sleeping.
I still save certain tasks for her naptimes (like my quiet time, any computer time, and other things requiring a lot of concentration) but many of my chores are completed with a tow-headed little girl by my side.
And lately, she has literally wanted to be by my side doing everything. Not in a clingy way but in a “I want to do what you’re doing Mommy” kind of way.
And you know what? I let her.
Even though it is admittedly a lot harder to finish something when she wants to “help”.
And even though it takes a lot longer to get something done.
And even though it requires a lot of patience and restraint on my part not to just take over and do things for her.
You know why? Because I want her to know how to do these things.
I want helping me with chores around the house to be a natural part of her day – something that she takes in stride because she’s always done it. I want to cultivate these skills in her now – while she’s young – so they’ll be second nature to her when she’s older.
I love what this article has to say about teaching your daughters at an early age:
Parents will be wise to direct their daughters when they are young to fill their time with godly pursuits. When they are little, to celebrate and read stories about the love and joys of homemaking, and to set before them an example: of a mother rejoicing in her work to the Lord and as she directs her family’s hearts toward heaven and home.
So what sort of things can a not yet two year old help with?
Laundry:
I used to get frustrated when I folded laundry with Lily in the room because in her attempts to “help” me, she would inevitably end up undoing everything I had already done!
So I started giving her a few washcloths to “practice” folding. I demonstrated how to do it at first and then let her go at it. She doesn’t usually get it “right” but she loves that she is getting to work alongside of me!
I also let her help me sort dirty laundry, which for some reason she thinks is great fun :)
Cooking:
I try to let her “help” me cook at least once a week. Although sometimes I have her help me make dinner, I usually try to pick a set time after her nap to make something special. That way we have a block of time and if it takes longer than usual or if something gets messed up, I’m not stressed because I don’t have dinner on the table.
She loves helping me pour in ingredients and stir!
(And she thinks it’s really cool to wear Mommy’s old apron from her waitressing days ;)
Dishes:
She loves to hand me the clean dishes from the dishwasher as I put them away. But probably her favorite thing to do is to get the dishwashing tablet, put it in the dispenser, close the door, and push the “Start” button.
Sometimes she does it even when the dishwasher is only half full…we’re working on that :)
I know she’s probably not always going to think helping me is “fun” but I think the benefits of including her early on are sooo great! Plus it makes for some fun mommy/daughter bonding time :)



4 comments:
Ah, love this post & the pics! This is on my heart so often these days... :)
Sooo sweet! I 100% agree with starting them early and the little snippet from the article that you shared. Some of the things remind me so much of Brigham (22 months) like throwing laundry in the washer or dryer with me or loving to put the detergent tab in the dw and shutting the little trap door! He too loves to "slam" the dw door, and after one broken water goblet with the crashing rack, we are much more careful now! ;)
In a few years she'll cut your cleaning time in half! And that's why we have kids. :)
Love this! I actually think Cloe now folds things better than me! :)
Post a Comment