Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Sep 10, 2010

Perspective

034 - Copy

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sat down and tried to write this post and failed. I think in part because it involves some things I’m thinking that are deeply personal and I’m a little bit leery of putting that out there for all to see – afraid of being misunderstood.

And maybe partly because I’m not entirely certain anyone will really care all that much about what I have to say here, but – here goes.

The other day my mother-in-law asked me, “So, are you just getting so excited to have a new little baby at your house again?”

And I hesitated.

Because in all honesty, the answer to that question right now is…no. Not completely.

Now, hear me out.

This baby is something we both prayed and planned for. We want to have more than one child – in fact we’d like a whole houseful of them, if the Lord allows. This pregnancy did not come as a surprise. We felt {and still feel} like we are ready to add to our family, and we are thrilled at the way the Lord has blessed us.

But if I’m being real – and I want to be real here – I was not a big fan of the newborn phase.

Lily was a…difficult baby. She cried. A lot. In fact, the first couple of months it seemed like if she wasn’t eating or sleeping, she was crying. Wouldn’t take a pacifier. Overall, I think she just didn’t really adapt to change all that well. And let’s face it, being born? Is kind of a big change.

She wanted to sleep during the day and be awake at night, and really what kind of people were we trying to change up her schedule like that?

To make matters worse, it seemed like anytime we talked to anyone about it, we got the same standard advice, “Just enjoy it. They’ll be going to college/getting married/having their own babies/etc, etc. before you know it.”

I know their intentions were good, but in all honesty, I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes whenever someone told me that. Enjoy it? Really?

Let’s face it. When you are running on little to no sleep, holding a baby who has been screaming for hours on end, tried all the tricks in your book to get them to stop, sore in places you’ve never been sore before, and bombarded with some crazy hormones, it’s not enjoyable.

It’s not.

And I wish, so, so badly that someone would have said this to me instead:

“It’s ok.”

It’s ok that you don’t just love being a mom right now.

It’s ok that you kind of like your baby the most when she’s sleeping.

It’s ok to not just be googly eyed over your child when they are screaming their head off at you.

It’s ok that you feel like you need a break.

It’s ok to not be enjoying this particular aspect of parenthood.

I mean, let’s try giving that same “Just enjoy it,” advice to someone in a different circumstance.

What do you think would happen if you went up to a woman, say, in the midst of an extremely painful labor and said to her, “You know, these contractions are working together to bring your precious little baby into the world…so just enjoy it.”

Do we say that? I mean, if we value our lives, do we say that? No! We say, “Keep pushing! The baby’s coming! It will be worth it! You’re almost there!”

But we don’t tell them to enjoy it, because it’s not fun.

I think what people mean when they say that is this:

“This is a time in your life like no other. Your baby will never be this small again. So enjoy those happy, cuddly moments. Drink in your baby when she’s snuggled up asleep on your chest. And when your baby is screaming it’s lungs off? Keep it in perspective. It won’t be like this forever. Before you know it, your baby will be all grown up, so take heart.”

I’m not really sure why I’m telling you all this, except that maybe I know I’m going to need to hear that these next couple of months. There’s a good possibility that this next baby might not be as touchy as Lily. Maybe it will be one of those laid back, go with the flow babies, who knows?

Even so, I’m mentally preparing myself for some bad days. Because there will be bad days.

Days where the baby is crying and Lily is being ornery and I won’t get to take a shower and I’ll maybe even say rash things like, “I’m not ever having any more children ever again,” and poor Dave will just smile and nod and let me cry on his shoulder and offer to take the night shift so I can get some sleep.

So.

Am I looking forward to having a new little baby?

The answer is yes.

And no.

Yes to the snuggles and the little butt curling up on my chest and the first smiles and the sweet smell of baby lotion.

No to the crying and the sleepless nights and the pain and the hormones and did I mention the crying because I’m really not looking forward to that?

But this time…this time I hope to keep things a little more in perspective. And it might just be easier this time around because I have a living, breathing, walking, talking, adorable bundle of proof that this won’t last forever.

August 2010 001

So mental note to my future self: Enjoy the good days. Endure the bad. It may not always be fun, and that’s ok but it’s worth it. It really is.

The End.

(Is anyone still reading?)

17 comments:

Mindy said...

oh, Amy! I'm literally in tears right now (crazy hormones). I totally understand your feelings about baby #2 ....and I didn't even have a fussy baby the first time around. But I'm not looking forward to the rough days, even though I know they will come. :) But hey, this time around when those rough days do come - call me and I'll tell you it's ok. and then you can tell me it's ok and we'll survive those first few months together. :) Love ya!

Jenn said...

Praying this new baby will be content and laid back. You will get through it. There are definitly good days and bad days.

Becky said...

I completely agree Amy! Delaney was a tough baby too and I did not enjoy the baby phase. I felt like it got more fun each day as she got older and grew into a "little person". I'm trying to prepare myself for those first few months as well. That's why I kind of wish I could have 4 at once and get thru the "no sleep time" once and for all :) Praying for you!

Mandy Lee said...

I read the entire post - promise! :) I really enjoyed this post because 1) Someday I will be a mother 2) I was THAT miserable baby myself. Mom and dad (and the rest of my family) still tell me how I never slept and was always crying (If you need a talking buddy on this - call my mom!!). 3) This was great advice about keeping everything in perspective - and this advice could be used through every situation in life. So thanks for sharing and I REALLY needed to read this becuase our family is going through a really, really, awful tough time right now and I feel like God used this post to help my perspective on this entire situation.

Thanks Amy!

Heather said...

You nailed it! I had one of those horrible babies and almost dreaded the prospect of #2 being just like her! It was a huge fear for me! So, I do understand, you are not alone and yes, it is OK to feel this way! Good luck and I'll pray for baby #2 to be as good as ours was, I mean after a high maintenance baby #1, you deserve a complacent #2!

This Heavenly Life said...

Yes, I'm still reading, and I could have read for pages and pages more, because...it's like you're speaking the words straight out of my head. My 3 years ago head. Oh, I thought these things and wondered and worried and hoped I'd like having a newborn again.

And you are EXACTLY right. When you have the perspective of a toddler's growth and development to look at when times get hard and it seems like that baby will always be difficult...it helps. You know things change. You know how to savor the good moments.

But if you're lucky (like I was!), you'll have LOTS of moments to savor with your second child. Maybe she'll be a piece of sweet, sleepy cake :)

(Are you still reading?) (Hee :))

I love your honesty.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize until just now how similar Avalon and Lily's newborn personalities were! (As in, GAHHHH!) So I totally, completely, and fully understand what you mean! Good for you for being honest - because that's just the way it is with babies sometimes. No reason to be ashamed! I hope that your next baby is one of those little quiet, calm ones that barely cry and are always happy :)

Anonymous said...

Great post! And I'm not even a mom..

Kelly said...

This is a fabulous post!! I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm in the same boat- not looking forward to labor and delivery and recovery, or to the sleepless nights, or to the crying...but excited to have those baby snuggles.
Thank you for sharing your heart! I'm praying you have a content and happy newborn!

Lisa said...

You have explained my newborn experiences with Madeline exactly. She was a night owl...wanted to party (or, in other words, be fussy) ALL NIGHT. Oh, the exhaustion AND the hormones. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Luckily, I had some awesome friends who were very honest with me -- before and during the whole ordeal. I was so blessed by knowing I wasn't alone and that they sat up at nights crying with their newborns, too!!!

The best advice I ever got: The first six weeks are just about survival. Nothing else. Eat and sleep (as much as possible).

I'm with you, Amy! Great post :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Amy - oh my, posts just like this one need to be written more. Moms out there, who are not loving a particular stage their children are in and feeling loads of guilt over that, need to know they are NOT alone.
I used to really get embarrassed when Dave would tell people that I loved Jacob as a baby, but that I didn't really like him.
But honestly? He was speaking truth - and he may have been the only one on earth that knew it.
Jacob was hard, hard, hard as a baby. Exactly as you explained Lily. I was trying to juggle a special needs 2 year old and new baby with colic - and so many days Dave came home to a crying baby and crying even harder mommy.
LOVED this post. SO glad you wrote it - and published it. ;)

H-Mama said...

I love a great, honest post. One that every new mother should read. Perfectly worded, my friend. ((hugs))

une autre mère said...

This was so great. I wish I would've had you to cry with when Addie was a newborn! She was a screamer also and it made me such a wreck that I had to go and stay at my parents' house for a few different weeks so I could have more help since Chad was so busy with coaching. But, to give you some hope... Millie was much easier and I was actually able to enjoy her more. And then Tate came along and he was even better yet! So, I'll pray that the same happens for you! And if not, please feel free to drop your crying baby off at my house for a few hours! Seriously. It's much easier to handle someone else's fussy baby when you've had a good night of sleep. :)

Unknown said...

I read the whole thing and I think you wrote it well. I definitely understand and agree. :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you wrote this. I think every mom goes through some of these feelings no matter what kind of baby they have. It is such a life change and VERY streching. I wish I had read more posts like yours before I had Elijah so that I wouldn't have been so hard on myself for having the same feelings.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

My story with our first born could just be "ditto". I think I cried just as much as Cloe, though! It was so rough! But I learned that Christ is my only sanity! Cling to Him!
Our boys were not criers (God was extra good!)...just double the work...which still made me cry!
Now on the flip side, I love to help with crying babies! I know every minute I hold them is a minute a mother gains strength!
Never under estimate the power of prayer when it comes to crying babies! ;)

Michelle said...

i love this post! and i'm so glad that you are getting it before baby #2 and not when baby #3 is like 4 years old (like me) i really did not care for the newborn/baby days either, for most of the reasons you said. i never wanted to say anything when someone would say, oh, these are the best years, enjoy them being so small and dependent because one day they will be on their own. most times, i would smile, nod, and think what is wrong with me since i don't enjoy it.

again, great post! i'm gonna file this and pass it along to any new moms i know.

 
Images by Freepik