Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Jun 21, 2011

Departures {Review}

DeparturesI’m almost a little bit embarrassed to admit that I actually requested this book to review. I mean, not that there was anything wrong with this book in particular but…it’s a book written for teenagers…

I know!

And what’s worse? I kind of enjoyed it. Shhh….don’t tell anybody Winking smile

The thing is…I grew up reading the Christy Miller series. I wanted to take trips to Hawaii, live in California, and meet a tall blond surfer named Todd…or at least meet a guy who treated me the way Todd does Christy.

And I did. Meet a guy, that is. I’m still working on that trip to Hawaii Smile

Anyway…what was my point?

Oh, yes. The book review.

So this was something of an indulgence for me, because it’s 2 short novellas – one about Christy and the other about Sierra. They’re kind of like “addendums” to the series.

They were a fun, lighthearted read…although I have to admit they’ve lost some of their appeal for me now that I’m a big kid adult. But one thing hasn’t changed – Robin Jones Gunn still writes sweet, innocent books about normal girls trying to live for the Lord in a culture that could care less about what He says. Such a nice, refreshing change of pace from all the garbage that’s out there being marketed to teens. {I’m not going to mention any names but insert your own vampire/trashy gossip series, etc. here}

I’ve already got several of these books stowed away in a bin and I’ll add this to my stash. I’m hoping my girls will get as much enjoyment out of them someday as I did!

4 comments:

TheMillers said...

I LOVED Christy Miller and Sierra books when I was a teenager! If I ever have girls, I have mine in a box in the basement and will definatly be slipping them to my daughter, too!

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

Oh my goodness, I still have both sets of series!! Thanks for the review, I will take my 30 yr old self down to the library and check it out!! :)

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

PS, because of the military, I currently reside not too far from where the Christy Miller series was set; and I am actually from an area 25 miles west from where the Sierre Jensen series took place!!

Jackie said...

Girl - I LOVE the Christy and Sierra books. I actually just finished re-reading them (shhhh...I know I shouldn't still enjoy them but I do!) :)

 
Images by Freepik