Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Dec 9, 2011

Random and Some Recipes

Whew! What a whirlwind these past several weeks have been!

The ladies’ event went WONDERFULLY – thank you to all those who prayed! We truly are “many members of one body” – and it’s so amazing to me to see how God uses our unique gifts and talents to do His work. He gets all the glory!

Now would be an ideal time to show you pictures, but…alas! I was too busy to take any. Maybe I’ll be able to steal some from someone who was there next week and give you a peek at what took place.

As for what’s been going on this week…well, the girls picked up a stomach bug that we’ve been fighting all week. Pretty sure you don’t want to see any pictures of that Smile

We’ve been doing lots of Christmas-y activities and crafts and I hope to share those with you  -- maybe next week.

This could possibly be the most random and uninteresting post I’ve ever done…

Oooh! I know! We tried a couple of recipes last night that should definitely be on everybody’s MUST TRY list. From Pinterest, of course Smile

Tomato Basil Parmesan soup and Gourmet Grilled Cheese – like grilled cheese and tomato soup only 20 times better – and surprisingly just as easy!



Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

(originally found here)

2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth (I used homemade turkey broth from Thanksgiving)
½ bay leaf
½ cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
2 cups half and half, warmed
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper

  1. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil (if using fresh oregano and basil, if using dried oregano and basil add it in the last hour of cooktime), and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.

  2. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

  3. About an hour before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes.

  4. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.

  5. Add all back into the slow cooker.

  6. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for another hour until ready to serve.

***************

Even Dave, a self-proclaimed tomato soup hater, liked this soup.

And THEN! The best grilled cheese. Ever! No exaggeration. I could have eaten twenty of these.

 

Gourmet Grilled Cheese
(originally found here)

8 slices rye bread
4 quarter-inch slices of fresh mozzarella
3 plum tomatoes, cut into thick slices
1 cup basil pesto (you can make it fresh, I just used a jar of Classico Basil Pesto from Target)
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil

  1. If you have a panini press, turn it on to warm up; otherwise, set a skillet over medium heat.

  2. Assemble sandwich by smearing insides of bread slices with pesto. Arrange a layer of sliced tomato and season with a few turns of fresh pepper. Layer the mozzarella slices over the top and then place another piece of bread on top to make the sandwich.

  3. Drizzle olive oil over skillet's surface and place sandwiches on the hot skillet or panini press. If using a skillet, place another heavy skillet over the top to form a "press". Turn after 2 to 3 minutes and replace weight. The sandwich is ready when golden brown and mozzarella has melted around the edges.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

trooppetrie said...

oh man this looks yummy, thanks for sharing

 
Images by Freepik