I know, roast is kind of something that everybody’s already got their own “best” recipe for.
But I PROMISE you, this is even better than your Grandma’s pot roast. Unless of course this is the recipe she uses, which, in that case SMART LADY. Everyone should try this at least once. That’s an order.
(I’m just kidding)
(But, seriously. Try it)
I first made this when I was newly married (as in, only about a month). I’d never made roast before so I pulled out my spankin’ new Betty Crocker cookbook and looked up her recipe. I have to admit, I was a little taken aback when I saw “horseradish” listed as an ingredient, but I trusted Betty, so I decided to go with it.
Dave, on the other hand was a little more skeptical. That is, until he tasted it. Now it’s one of his favorite recipes. It is absolutely melt in your mouth tender and delicious. I’ve made it so many times I’ve got it memorized and it’s one of those recipes I can throw together effortlessly when we’re busy. And we are this week, which is why I’ve got some simmering in the crock pot right now.
Anyway. Enough chit chat. On to the recipe:
Slow Cooker New England Pot Roast
(slightly modified from this recipe)
-1 boneless beef chuck arm, shoulder or blade pot roast (4 lb) **important: do not use a bottom round or rump roast, it needs to be a chuck roast, sometimes called a crock pot roast**
-1 to 2 teaspoons salt
-1 teaspoon pepper
-1 jar (8 oz) prepared horseradish **also important: use prepared horseradish, in the condiment aisle with mayo, ketchup, etc. It kind of looks like mayonnaise**
-8 small potatoes, cut in half
-8 medium carrots, cut into fourths **I just use half a bag of baby carrots**
-8 small onions, skins removed
-1/2 cup cold water
- In skillet, cook beef over medium heat until brown on all sides.Place potatoes, carrots, and onions in slow cooker. Lay beef on top.
- Mix salt, pepper, and horseradish and spread over sides of beef.
- Pour 1/2 cup water on top.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Unbutton your pants because you’re gonna need more room in there.
I don’t know what it is, but the horseradish does something magical to the meat. It doesn’t taste like horseradish, just a plate of pure deliciousness. Seriously, my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it.
Happy Friday!



2 comments:
MMM . . . This looks delish - so going to have to try this! I have a crock pot dish for a whole chicken I should share and you put the chicken on top of the potatoes like in your recipe - I don't know what it is but it is SOOOO yummy and fall off the bone tender - we have it honestly every Sunday cuz it's so good - I'll have to try this now! btw - Been thinking about you and your big event tomorrow! I have a teeny tiny one I'm putting on by myself for our ladies group but nothing close to your event - I'll be praying it goes well and stress free!! ;0)
Sounds absolutely delicious!! Thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment