I don’t know how it happened, but somehow I have become a bread making machine.
This is coming from a girl who for years has been intimidated by the very thought of making something with yeast. For some reason I had labeled any such recipes as being too complicated, almost on a “Julia Child’s only” level.
Then, my mom got me a bread machine for Christmas. She created a monster.
Since then I have been experimenting with all different kinds of recipes and all different kinds of techniques. Sometimes I use the machine, sometimes I don’t {GASP!} I’ve found a fairly decent recipe for whole wheat bread that I make on a regular basis instead of buying store-bought bread.
I know.
It’s like I don’t even know who I am anymore. Next thing you know I’ll be grinding my own wheat.
I’ve found a yummy recipe for rolls that is quick and easy and that I’ve made approximately 27 times in the past month.
Just last night I made some French bread and a couple of weeks ago, a honey wheat poppy seed bread that was out of this world.
To me, there is just something indescribably delicious about the taste of real homemade bread. I’m an addict. For reals. I’ll buy bread at the store in a pinch but as long as I have the time, I’m totally hooked on making my own.
Some things I’ve learned:
**Whole wheat bread is really hard to get right. It tends to be tough. I’ve got a recipe I like but I’m still trying to make it better.
**If you have a bread machine, use it for everything but the actual baking. For some reason, bread tastes better when baked in an actual oven. You can just use the “Dough” setting on your machine and let it do all the hard work, then get it out, put it in the pan, let it do the second rise and then bake it.
{You see that? I’m using terms like “second rise” and I actually know what I’m talking about!}
**If you don’t have a bread machine, make some anyway. Seriously. It’s not that hard. If I can do it, you can too!
**In order to fully appreciate the deliciousness of the bread, you should always slice and butter a piece and eat it hot out of the oven.
**It’s ok if you make a recipe that doesn’t turn out. Turn it into croutons and move on!
And just for fun, here are some of my new favorite recipes:
Here’s the French bread recipe I used last night.
And this is my current favorite whole wheat sandwich bread recipe. It’s pretty good but I am on the hunt for one that is spectacular. It’s only got 6 ingredients – gotta love that!

On my list “to try” are focaccia bread and sweet Hawaiian rolls.
What’s your favorite thing to make homemade?





5 comments:
These look delicious. Those rolls!!! I make pizza dough in the bread maker but that's about all. I may have to branch out.
I LOOOOOOVE making bread! I swear, it's actually theraputic: the proofing, the kneading, the rising, the punching...sigh. All wonderful. And that first, hot, buttered slice...heaven.
I use www.melskitchencafe.com for a lot of bread recipes. (I think she has a foccacia recipe, too...) I haven't tried whole-wheat for most of the reasons you listed: it's hard to get it right! PLEASE let me know when you find an amazing recipe!
Yes, I would love to know when you find a great sandwich bread recipe! I love making bread, but don't do it often since I can only eat spelt flour which is pretty expensive.
Love making bread, but I need to do it on a more regular basis. I'll be trying these recipes, especially the rolls, as I never have time shortly before dinner for my recipes that take much longer. Thanks!!
I almost think that I could make my own bread after reading your post. Maybe once I am on maternity leave I will make that a project. :)
I do have a really easy, good pizza crust recipe that I love to use. Let me know if you want it.
Post a Comment