Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Aug 16, 2012

When It’s Not What You Expected

So…I don’t even really know how to begin this. This is not a post I ever hoped to write.

About a month and a half ago, Dave and I found out that we were expecting our third child. We hadn’t exactly been trying, but we hadn’t really been actively preventing so we weren’t surprised -- and we were thrilled. By our calculations, the baby would probably be due mid to end of March, right around the time of Dave’s birthday.

We had a trip planned to visit Dave’s family in New York the beginning of August. My parents were going to be with us as well and we decided to announce the big news to both our families then.  One night we ordered a pizza and had a message written out in pepperoni: Baby #3. It was a perfect, fun way to celebrate, our joy multiplied by the reactions of our loved ones.

Despite our anticipation, I had a sense of uneasiness. Something felt different, and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I wasn’t even a little bit sick, and that worried me. But I really never had terrible morning sickness with either of the girls so I just told myself that I must have gotten lucky this time. And I had felt anxious and worried to a certain degree with both Lily and Sophia but everything had been perfectly fine, so I shoved aside my misgivings.

We had our first appointment the Tuesday after we returned from New York and we asked our family to keep things quiet until then. I wanted to hear the heartbeat to reassure me before we announced it to the world.

Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity.

The memory of that ultrasound will forever be etched in my mind. I saw the baby on the screen looking so sweet and small, it’s arms and legs barely popping out from it’s tiny body, and I felt my heart surge with love. The tech took measurements and we chatted about the difficulties of raising a two year old. August 2012 383

Then I saw those vertical lines pop up on the screen, the ones that are supposed to show the heartbeat, only they weren’t moving. They were only there for a second and then they vanished. I held my breath waiting to see if my suspicions would be confirmed but she just started talking about how the baby was 9 weeks 2 days developed and my due date would be March 17. Then she asked if I wanted some pictures. There was no indication from her that anything was wrong so I thought I must have misunderstood what I had seen.

I didn’t.

I headed to the room down the hall to see the doctor and that’s where all the fears I had pushed to the side were finally confirmed.

“You look like you’re about 9 weeks along but…”

But.

I knew there shouldn’t be a but.

“…but the baby doesn’t have a heartbeat.”

I have often wondered at the depth of pain I saw in the people I knew who had suffered an early miscarriage. It’s not that I doubted it’s legitimacy, it’s just that I did not totally understand. It didn’t seem like it would be “as bad” as losing a child whom you had seen and known and loved. And it’s not the same, I’m sure, but the moment the doctor uttered those words, I understood.

It is a loss you feel, not for the child you knew, but for the child you will never know. For the hugs you’ll never give and the kisses you won’t receive. For the personality you will never get to see develop and the color of their eyes and softness of their skin and the shape of their nose that you will never get to see or touch or feel.

As Dave said, “It’s like there is a part of our family that will always feel a little bit incomplete.”

I sat in the chair and listened as the doctor told me that it wasn’t my fault and I thought, “How does she know?” And even though I know that’s not a path I should allow my mind to travel, it’s hard not to wonder. What happened?

It is no coincidence that at the very moment I received that awful news, I also received a text message from my friend Ellen. Ellen, who has herself suffered through the loss of a child. Ellen, who was one of only two friends who I had shared our secret with. She wanted me to know she was praying for my appointment.

I swallowed tears and tried desperately to hold it together while the doctor explained my options and sent me to have my blood drawn. I walked through the waiting room filled with happy expectant mothers, trying not to look at their swollen bellies and hoping they wouldn’t notice my puffy red eyes.

And then I collapsed in the front seat of our mini van and let the tears come. Dave had left work the moment I called him and when he arrived we stood in the middle of the parking lot and held each other. I watched his shoulders shake with grief when I handed him the first and last pictures we will ever have of our baby and then we went home where my mom waited with our girls.

I cried more than I have ever cried in my entire life, until I felt certain that there wasn’t a drop of liquid left in my body.

And now here we are, two days later, and I am learning something about grief. It is not something that you can just have a good cry about and then it’s over.

I am learning that you can have good moments where you feel fine and then seemingly out of nowhere the reality will hit you, like when you walk past the maternity section in Target, or you hear someone else announce their pregnancy.

I am learning that it is a process, just like everyone says, and that there is still a long road toward healing ahead of me.

And I’m also learning that it is true that you can have joy in the midst of sorrow. I think it was John Piper that I heard say once that, “Despair is not suffering it is the absence of hope in suffering.”

I am so grateful for our families and the tremendous comfort they have been to us, but more than anything else, the truth of God’s Word has comforted me over and over and over again these past few days. God has brought verses and passages of Scripture to my mind continually that remind me that we are not those who must “grieve like people who have no hope.”

I think the passage I have read more than any other is Psalm 139. That famous passage that is often rejoiced over at a child’s birth has brought me tremendous comfort in my child’s death.

For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

His eyes saw my baby’s unformed substance.  He had every day of it’s short life written in His book. He knows my baby, and He knows me. He loves me. He gave His Son for me and because I know the depth of His love and His mercy and His forgiveness, I know that He has a good purpose for even this.

And I have hope – a sure and settled confidence – that I will someday see my baby and know everything that I do not know right now.

Christy Nockels, in a song she wrote about a child she miscarried, put it this way,

“So baby, let sweet Jesus hold you
till Mom and Dad can hold you.
You’ll just have heaven before we do.”

There is no better place for our baby than where it is, right now, safe in the arms of Jesus, and I as I walk through the months ahead and work through the grief and the sadness and the fears that I know I will battle, that truth will comfort me.

God loves me. He is my hope.

"When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
Psalm 61:2

18 comments:

Mandi said...

We have been right here where you are. It hurts and it aches and you will question and wait and wait...
Tears for you today. Let the Lord soothe your soul and minister to you, even when you can't imagine an end in sight.
Love you girl!

Ellen@SvennesPunkinPatch said...

Love you, my dear friend! I am thankful God is feeling so real to you right now through this. I hate that you and Dave are walking down this road....it is one of the worst! God is faithful and WILL carry you through this just as He carried me! I am praying for you multiple times a day and hope you can feel everyone's prayers for you and Dave! Love you!!!

This Heavenly Life said...

Oh, honey, I'm so so sorry for this loss. Hugs and prayers, dear one!

Kerri said...

Amy,
So sorry to hear about your loss. Thank-you for sharing such a beautiful message in the midst of your pain. Blessings to you all~
Kerri

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Amy. Thanks for sharing. I'll be praying.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I know.

I know, and I wish I could just push "fast forward" for you, because the next few weeks/months/beyond are going to have some pretty yucky moments.

And yes, HE knows. And he holds you so tightly during these times.

I'm so sorry. Really, through tears, just really sorry.

H-Mama said...

oh, ((((amy)))), praying your heart feels comfort and peace, even now. so, so sorry...

Sarah Moulton said...

Oh Amy-I am so sorry. Here back in WI when we were talking about the possibility of another baby after our crazy girls your little one was already forming. I have never been through what you are going through and won't pretend to, but at the times I have been at my saddest 1 Pet 5:10 has always been a constant for me...and PTL, has always come true in the aftermath of the storm.
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself RESTORE you and make you STRONG, FIRM and STEADFAST.
Praying for you...

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

I know that feeling and I am so sorry that you are going through this. Hang in there and take your time coming through it. Praying for you, friend!

Kelly said...

Praying so much for you right now, sweet friend. Many tears have been shed for you while reading this post. Thank you for sharing.

TheMillers said...

I just read this, and wanted to say I am sorry for you and Dave and the loss of this little life. A quote that had been in my head for awhile now through pain of my own is "Pain is an appointment with God to do His greatest work". It is the time our faith is tested and we can learn to trust and love Him more! I pray that you are comforted by Him during this time.

Lisa said...

So sorry for your loss, Amy. Lifting you up in prayer.

Jackie said...

Oh Amy. I am so very sorry. Sending you a big hug and many prayers for you tonight. The verse you put at the end - Psalm 61:2 - hang onto that, my friend.

Katie Casey said...

I am so sad to read this. Love and prayers for you sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy...my heart has been broken for you and Dave. I am so sorry for what has happened and the void that is left in your heart. Every time I think of you I pray for the Spirit of the Lord to be close to you, to comfort your pain and to fill your heart with peace.

une autre mère said...

Amy, I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Thank you for writing this post, giving us a glimpse of your grief. I can't imagine the pain you are going through. Please know you will be in my prayers.

The Meaning of Me said...

We do not know one another...I ended up here from a "more from BlogHer" link on another blog. Your post has brought me to inexplicable tears. I can only guess as the pain you must be feeling. You are brave to share your feelings here. You and your family are in my prayers. So very sorry for your loss.

Jamie said...

I haven't been to your blog in forever, but decided to come by tonight. I am so sorry to read this news, Amy! I know it's been a month (today) and I pray you are finding comfort, healing and peace. I pray you're allowing yourself to grieve as YOU need to. I pray you are leaning on Him. And I pray you have people around you to support you...not just family but fellow "mommies" who have been where you are (and where I've been). Mommies with Hope is a great group to get involved with if you so desire. I will be praying for you!

 
Images by Freepik