We had the BEST weekend.
Saturday morning Dave and I were having a disagreement -- ok TRUTH -- we had an argument. I don't actually even remember how it started, but as we were sitting there talking through the issues, we were both expressing how completely, utterly stressed and worn out we were. Too many weeks with too much on the schedule and very little margin plus all the other hard things we've been dealing with -- we were both wound so tightly it's not really any surprise that we were snapping at each other.
And Dave said, "I just feel like we need to do something different, a change of scenery."
And I said, kinda-sorta-but-not-really jokingly, "You mean, like pack the girls up and head to Kansas City for the weekend?"
And he said, "YES!!"
An hour later we had the car packed, hotel reservations made and were on our way south. Who says you can't be spontaneous when you have kids?
And guys, it was the best.Normally when we take a trip I have everything planned out for weeks and I'm rushing around like crazy for days trying to prepare everything and make it perfect. And then you know IT'S NEVER PERFECT and I get frustrated that reality doesn't meet up with my expectations and have I mentioned that I struggle with control issues and have a hard time just relaxing?
We had no schedule, no real set in stone plan. And it wasn't perfect but I knew going into it that it wasn't going to be and it made such a difference in my outlook. We forgot swim diapers and the girl's toothbrushes and instead of kicking myself for not bringing them, I just shrugged it off and stopped at Wal-Mart.
Kansas City is kind of like my second home. I grew up in a tiny town about 20 minutes south of Overland Park, a KCK suburb, and every time we go back (which really isn't often enough) I remember how much I've missed it. If we ever got the opportunity, I'd move there in a heartbeat. But the odds of that happening are very, very slim, so we just have to settle for going back to visit every now and again.
One of the things I think I miss the most is the weather. It's just enough further south that the winters are {typically} milder and spring comes a little sooner. I'm such a warm weather girl -- I always joke that I was made to live in the South. My skin is dry and can stand some humidity and I despise being cold! So when we stepped out of the car into temps in the seventies, and warm breezes, I felt right at home. Their trees were flowering and there were tulips blooming and the sun was shining. I've kinda started to wonder if this winter we are having will ever end, so seeing signs of spring was unbelievably refreshing.
Saturday afternoon we got settled into our hotel then went for an early dinner at Carraba's. We don't have one of these anywhere close to us and Dave was so excited because the one time we had been there before he ate this amazing flatbread Marguerite pizza -- but it wasn't on the menu anymore! Such a bummer. Instead, we ordered another flatbread pizza and it totally made up for it. I can't even describe how yummy it was, it had this crispy crust and this warm pesto and yummy Roma tomatoes and fresh basil with creamy ricotta on top. Yum.
{And, I'm just going to have to apologize in advance for the lack of pictures -- long story, but we didn't have our camera and I can't get pictures from our phones to the iPad. Not because it's not possible but because I don't know how and I'm too tired to figure it out}
Anyway. After a quick Wal-Mart run, we went back to the hotel and swam in the pool. And by we, I mean Dave and the girls. I soaked in the hot tub :) We had briefly considered going to a hotel that had an indoor water park, but they were all booked on Saturday night and now I'm so glad we didn't. The girls were perfectly content with just the pool and hot tub. Basically every time we left the pool, they were already talking about when we could go back next.
After pool time we cleaned the girls up and had them in bed by 8:30. And since we were all sleeping in the same room, Dave and I lay in bed whispering and eating Skittles until they fell asleep. I felt like we were at summer camp. Only, one with co-ed cabins ;)
Sunday morning we headed to a super yummy breakfast place called First Watch. I always thought it was a local chain but I found out that it was actually started in California and they have them all over the US. If you've got one near you, you should definitely check it out! It's so yummy and it doesn't feel like a chain restaurant to me at all. They've got pancakes as big as a dinner plate, which is what we all got, blueberry for Dave, chocolate chip for the girls, and multigrain for me.
After brunch we decided to take a drive to my old stomping grounds. We drove by the two houses that my dad built, our old church, my elementary/middle school and my old high school. Lily's commentary, "There sure are a lot of cows in this country!"
Yep :)
After that it was back to the hotel for some pool and nap time, followed by dinner at Jack Stack, a famous KC bbq place.
Sunday night we had just gone down for some more pool time when they told us they were closing it due to lightning in the immediate area. The girls were bummed but we made it up to them by letting them snuggle with us in bed while eating candy and watching a movie.
We hit the road early Monday morning and got back in time for Dave to head back to work that afternoon.
Honestly? I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed and happy. I didn't even know I needed that break until we took it and I'm so glad we did. We had tons of time to talk and giggle and just be a family.
I definitely learned that when it comes to vacations, planning is helpful and good, but the best way to enjoy yourself is to understand that things probably won't go as expected so just roll with the punches.
The End.



4 comments:
It sounds like you guys had a wonderful time and it was just what you needed! I know what you mean about the planning (stressing :)) before a trip and then having certain expectations and being let down. I know it sounds weird, but last minute things actually help me relax more :)
I'm so glad y'all had a wonderful time! I know you needed it!
Fun! Unfortunately it didn't stay warm in KC, either. We've been back in the 40s all week.
How fun! So glad you got to enjoy a weekend of relaxing and fun with your family. <3
Post a Comment