Welcome to my front porch!

I invite you to peek through the windows into my life -- it's not always pretty, and sometimes it's messy, but I hope you find that it is REAL.

If you're new here, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed, email or by using Google Friend Connect down below!

Now grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and enjoy the view!

Oct 10, 2013

On My Nightstand {October}

I'm the type of person that pretty much always has a pile of books on her nightstand waiting to be read. Give me a book on the couch over a TV show any day. 

But being a mama means I have to squeeze reading time in amongst a host of other things - I've pretty much always got a book in my purse in case the opportunity presents itself, and reading before bed is my of my favorite ways to wind down at the end of the day.

So this reading list is really more wishful thinking than anything. I realize there's probably no way I will make it through all of these books this month, but I'm going to enjoy trying ;)


Willie and Korie Robertson

This is one I've actually already finished. If you like the show, you'll like the behind the scenes background information. It's not the most eloquently piece of material ever written, but it was a fun, easy read.

Clay Clarkson


Love Sally Clarkson and can't wait to get a peek into their family's philosophy of discipline. This is written by Clay, her husband.

Martha Peace and Stuart Scott


This was given to me awhile (as in - 2 years!) ago and I've been wanting to dig into it. My favorite quote so far, "a parent can be faithful even if their children are not". Isn't that encouraging? Our success as a parent is not measured by the behavior of our children, but by our faithfulness to God. We can please Him as parents, even if our children choose to go astray!

Jerry Bridges


This was gifted to me by my mother in law and I know will contain encouragement during what has been a super painful period of life.

Susan May Warren


I just recently discovered Susan May Warren and have been devouring her books. She's a Christian author whose books are a mixture of suspense and faith with a little romance mixed in. The first book of hers I read was The Shadow of your Smile, about a man and woman struggling in their marriage. BEAUTIFUL story of true love, commitment, and redemption. The book listed above is part of a more light hearted series about an amateur detective. If you know me, then you know this is right up my alley ;)

Maria Von Trapp



Raise your hand if you love The Sound of Music (picture me, waving both hands wildly)!! I still remember the first time I realized that the movie was actually someone's REAL story! I am a firm believer that history is best taught as a narrative. Dull, boring facts have a way of coming alive when they are intertwined with real flesh and blood.

Anyway, this is a reprint of a book written by Maria Von Trapp (of Sound of Music fame) in 1975. The description says that it focuses on her spiritual life. I am interested to read what she has to say - though I'm not certain we will agree completely in our theology, I'm curious to find out what exactly she believed...and hopefully read some more details about their fascinating life story!

So that's what's on my nightstand this month! What's on yours?

Disclaimer: I think it should probably go without saying that just because I'm reading these books, it does not mean I am endorsing them 100%.  Always read with discernment :)

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik